The last time Serena Van Der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf attended a fashion show, it was complete chaos. The BFFs were at each other’s throats. During last night’s Gossip Girl they were at odds again, but for different reasons. In an effort to prove how mature and responsible they are, Serena and Blair called a truce. But it’s never that simple on this show, especially when you have a teenager on the loose.
- Director: Bart Wenrich
- Writer: Natalie Krinsky
- Cast: Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford, Ed Westwick
Episode Title: “Dirty Rotten Scandals”
Blair’s stressed over her first fashion show and reaches out to Chuck for help. Serena discovers that befriending Steven’s teen daughter Sage, is trickier than she thought — especially when she’s forced to put her issues with Blair aside to make her happy. Meanwhile, Nate publishes Dan’s first serialized article in The Spectator, which causes a serious threat to the paper.
- Like Looking In A Mirror: Serena decides to become Sage’s mentor. She tells Steven that she feels she can relate to her because, not so long ago, she was her. It’s funny to think that just few years ago, Serena was publicly humiliating her mother and step-father with her rebellious behavior. She was making scenes in front of the press, throwing scandalous parties, wearing slutty dresses without underwear. Now the tables have turned and she’s getting a taste of her own medicine. Seeing karma unfold is so sweet.
- Chuck Plays Superman: When Blair breaks down and can’t continue prepping her fashion show, Chuck flies in and makes it better. He’s literally become Blair’s personal Superman.
- Serena and Dan Exchange Some Words: These days, Dan and Serena don’t speak to each other a lot. But once upon a time, they were famous for their public displays of affection. Can you believe they were ever a couple? It seems like so long ago.
- Dan Has Finally Evolved: He’s still being careless and we’re loving it. Keep up the badass attitude Humphrey!
- Monkey’s Still Around: We had forgotten all about Monkey (Chuck’s dog). But he graced us with his adorable presence. Awe!
- Alexa Chung Cameo: Blair wanted ‘It Girls’ to strut her runway, and Alexa Chung is definitely one (in the real world). Kudos to whoever got her to be on the show.
- “I may be negotiating with terrorists, but you’re harboring a fugitive.” – Chuck
- “This is Manhattan, there’s an ‘It Girl’ on every corner.” – Blair
- “Do I look like I’ve been eating? Don’t insult me.” – Blair
- “And who approved those wigs? Even Nicky Minaj knows better.” – Blair
- “You read me like tea leaves Chuck Bass.” – Blair
- Blair Breaks Down: Blair’s breakdown was over-the-top. We love those wacky dream sequences she has from time to time (when she imagines she’s Audrey Hepburn or Bette Davis). But her breakdown was totally phony.
- Nate and Sage: Why is Nate still dating a teenager who sabotages fashion shows, cuts school and tries to ruin his friend’s relationship? We get that he’s a bit of a buffoon, but seriously, he has better taste than this.
“Rotten Scandals” was eventful. Watching Serena try to tame a wild teen was entertaining, especially for those of us who can connect the dots between her and Sage’s behavior. Despite Sage’s attention-grabbing acts, we’re confused by her relationship with Nate. Couldn’t the writers find anyone better? He deserves more than her. He’s already the dullest character on the show. He could, at the very least, be dating someone remotely interesting.
Gossip Girl airs Mondays at 9 p.m on the CW.