This week, The Big Bang Theory became a battle of the sexes in “The Re-Entry Minimization.” Sheldon and Penny go head to head (or brain to brain?) during game night. Meanwhile, Howard returns to Earth an inch taller, but his warm welcome is mighty cold.
- Director: Mark Cendrowski
- Writer: Chuck Lorre, Bill Prady
- Cast: Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyar, Mayim Bialik, Melissa Rauch, Howie Mandel
Episode Title: “The Re-Entry Minimization”
Howard feels slighted when he returns to Earth to little recognition. At the airport, Howie Mandel steals his thunder from the paparazzi. When he gets home, Bernadette falls asleep before spending any time with him, his mom is busy having an affair with his dentist, Raj has plans with Stuart, and the rest of the gang are more interested in game night. Of course, Howard doesn’t know that game night has escalated into a gender war. If only Pictionary was this funny in real life!
- Penny vs. Sheldon: It was great to see Penny and Amy beat Sheldon and Leonard at every game. It was particularly funny when Sheldon got factual information wrong, as when Penny points out such details as a lowercase “p.” We also got some great Sheldon quotes from their Pictionary game.
- Howie, Howie: Rocketman? More like Cellophane Man. From the moment he arrives at the airport, Howard gets little attention. It’s very funny on the surface, but there’s an underlying value to this. We often know the whereabouts of celebrities, but who notices the private lives of scientists, engineers, biologists and other people who work to make a difference in the world? How many people know what astronauts are up to nowadays? In comparison, how many people know who Honey Boo Boo is? We feel genuinely sad about Howard’s situation.
- Bernadette’s Stuffy Nose: Bernadette’s sniffles were disgusting. Her hacking and sneezing before asking Howard to kiss her were a little much. Even Howard’s self-deprecating joke of “Well, that was quick and a little gross…now I know how she feels” couldn’t make up for the gross factor. And just when we forgot about her, Sheldon had to snort a blueberry, which was both gross and weird.
- Leonard: “How could you not get that?” Sheldon: “If you want someone to get a chocolate chip cookie, you draw a glass of milk next to it!”
- Sheldon: “We’ll remember you with nostalgic fondness. The way we do the dial-up modem, the VHS tape, or Leonard’s gym membership.”
- Sheldon: “He left a boy. He returns a boy-sized hero.”
- Penny: “You’re unbelievable.” Sheldon: “I know.”
- Leonard: “In what universe is that a present?” Sheldon: “It’s not a present. It’s the present. There’s you and me. There’s Penny and Amy. We’re playing Pictionary. In the present.”
- Leonard: “A solar system? Uh,uh,uh, unidentified flying liverwurst?”
- Sheldon: “That’s big talk from someone who can’t draw a chocolate chip cookie.”
- Sheldon: “How could you not find him?” Leonard: “Because he’s hard to find. If he was easy to find, the books would be called There’s Waldo.”
- Raj: “It’s like we both had these holes in our lives, but now we fill each other’s holes.”
- Howard: “At least my mother made her boyfriend climb out the window.”
- Sheldon: “Oh, ouch, blueberry in my nose! Blueberry in my nose!” Leonard: “Snort it down and keep eating.”
“The Re-Entry Minimization” was a thought-provoking and funny episode. The humorous parts outweigh the gross and sad ones. Plus, Penny constantly beating Sheldon was a great highlight to the show.
The Rating: 9/10
The Big Bang Theory airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on CBS.
What was your favorite Sheldon quote? Let us know in comments below!