This week, Castle takes us to the Hamptons with “Murder He Wrote.” Will a victim’s death in Castle’s own backyard ruin his and Beckett’s vacation? Or will it bring the two of them closer? Plus, Ryan and Esposito are still on the hunt to find Beckett’s mystery man.
- Director: Rob Bowman
- Writer: David Grae
- Cast: Stana Katic, Nathan Fillion, Jon Huertas, Seamus Dever, Tamala Jones, Susan Sullivan, Molly C. Quinn, Penny Johnson Jerald
Episode Title: “Murder He Wrote”
Martha and Alexis prep Castle for his weekend in the Hamptons with Beckett. Ryan and Esposito are determined to find out who Beckett is dating. Castle and Beckett’s weekend getaway is disrupted when a murder victim dies in Castle’s yard. Their obsession with cracking the case leads them on an adventure… and to jail.
- Ryan and Esposito: Besides Caskett–the two we want to see more of is Ryan and Esposito. Their mission to discover Beckett’s boyfriend makes this episode. Asking for Castle’s Ferrari for a week each when he asks for a favor? Perfect. Taking their ‘investigation’ to Lanie so we can hear her clever retorts? Brilliant. What else could we ask for except “More, please?”
- The Music: The music is always great on this show, but this week’s score was exceptional. Eddie Vedder’s “Longing to Belong” while they travel to the Hamptons sets us up for the relaxation of a vacation. Then the touch of classical while Castle gives Beckett a tour of his house is both romantic and unsettling, which nails Beckett’s mixed emotions. Mark Kilian captured each emotion in his score. Did anyone hear Latch Key Kid’s “Getaway”? Yep, they were included, too.
- The Accused: Everyone gets upset with Castle’s murder accusations, which makes for a good joke that runs throughout the entire episode. But it’s also more than a joke: It’s setting us up for the next episode, “Probable Cause,” in which Castle’s the prime suspect in a murder investigation.
- Hamptons Heat: We weren’t buying the part where Castle kept obsessing over a case instead of kissing Beckett! We’ll admit it, that scene almost ruined it for us until she did the same thing to him near the end. This reciprocation is great because we see them as being even more compatible, if that’s possible.
- Costume Department: What are Kate and Rick wearing in this episode? The overabundance of denim seems strange. Kate wears a floral print jean jacket in one scene, an odd-fitting orange sundress in another. It’s a vast difference from her usual wardrobe for work. And why would Rick wear a full denim outfit on the docks at the end? We get that they’re dressing comfortable, but their clothing could’ve meshed more with their personalities.
- Castle: “You’re in a room full of detectives and not one of them has a clue.”
- Ryan: “C’mon, Beckett, just give us something… is [your boyfriend] handsome?” Castle: “Yeah. Is-is he handsome?” Esposito: “Or is he more of a badass?”
- Beckett: “So, are you rich or something?” Castle: “I’m not James Patterson rich, but I do okay.”
- Beckett: “I can’t help but wonder how many other girls have gotten this tour.” Castle: “I’m not going to deny that I have brought other women up here. But none of them were you.”
- Castle: “Suspects tend to hold out on things like that.”
- Castle: “Killer boat.”
- Beckett: “I don’t know why they even care.” Castle: “Why do people care about Brangelina?” Beckett: “So now we’re Brangelina.” Castle: “We’re Rick-ate…Kat-ick…Caskett. Ooh, that’s good because of the whole murder thing.”
“Murder He Wrote” was exceptionally funny, sexy, and surprising. We liked that the episode foreshadowed future investigations and Beckett and Castle’s relationship. Also, there is no break from the murder mystery theme even when they go on vacation. It’s a clever and fresh way of staying true to form.
Castle airs Monday nights at 10 p.m. on ABC.
What did you think? Let us know in the comments!