Castle‘s “Cloudy With a Chance of Murder” is all about Beckett’s first day back on the job. Surveying the aftermath of a meteorologist’s murder makes her think twice about her love life. Can Beckett and Castle keep their relationship under wraps from a room full of detectives?
- Director: Kate Woods
- Writer: Elizabeth Beall
- Cast: Stana Katic, Nathan Fillion, Jon Huertas, Seamus Dever, Tamala Jones, Jodi Lyn O’Keefe
Episode Title: “Cloudy With a Chance of Murder”
Beckett is back from suspension and investigates the murder of a local TV weather girl. As if navigating an industry full of backstabbing and ruthless ambition isn’t hard enough, Beckett and Castle have the additional challenge of hiding their relationship from Ryan, Esposito and Lanie.
- Frozen Heat: This episode featured the first mention of Frozen Heat, Richard Castle’s latest book. It’s the fourth in the Nikki Heat series, and is for sale on at Barnes & Noble for $18.99. Not sure if you’ll like it? You can read the first eight chapters for free on ABC’s Official Website just by registering.
- Cold Front: Paralleling Beckett and Castle’s secret affair with the head newscaster and weather girl was a brilliant. Everything was handled optimally. Beckett states that there’s a strict no in-office dating policy and Castle provides a loophole (he doesn’t technically work there). The best part is when she discusses her fear of “drowning in a sea of lies” with him. They’re building a solid foundation for their relationship by working through such issues together.
- Guest Star: Prison Break fans rejoice! Jodi Lyn O’Keefe swirls into Beckett and Castle’s world like a steamy tornado. She’s the seductress and entertainment reporter Kristina Coterra. Her entrance almost breaks the couple up before paradoxically bringing them closer together.
- Today’s Forecast: This week’s episode borrows its title from the cable series Pysch that also had an episode called “Cloudy…With a Chance of Murder.” It’s a clever reference to one of the myriad murder mysteries that came before this show. The fact that Psych investigated the realm of psychic powers speaks to Lanie’s comment that Beckett “glows” too.
- Esposito and Ryan: Why did Esposito and Ryan have such a difficult time working together? They have worked together for years. Esposito’s suspension lasted only a few weeks, which doesn’t warrant awkwardness upon his return. However, we’re glad the two worked it out in the end.
- Roll with the Punches: It’s not very realistic that someone–even a bodyguard–would start wailing on NYPD officers without serious repercussions. The punching scene wasn’t very believable. However, we’re glad it brought out the best in Ryan and Esposito. We got to see their kind-hearted nature.
- Esposito: “Are you wearing makeup?” Ryan: “No!…It’s tinted moisturizer.”
- Beckett: “Are we supposed to believe that they were just friends?” Castle: “You and I were just friends for four years.” Beckett: “You were trying to sleep with me the whole time.”
- Esposito: “Apology not accepted.”
- Beckett: “Castle, what do you think of this one?” Castle: “Sexy.”
- Lanie: “So who’s the mystery man?” Castle: “Yeah, who is the mystery man?”
- Beckett: “I don’t know how to do this.”
- Esposito: “Aw, you took that punch for me. You didn’t have to do that…Let’s go. I’ll buy you a drink.” Ryan: “Just not at a sports bar.”
“Cloudy With a Chance of Murder” sheds light on Castle and Beckett’s relationship without losing the investigative quality of the show. Ryan and Esposito’s partnership was confusing for a short time, but eventually everything worked out.
Castle airs Monday nights at 10 p.m. on ABC.
Agree or disagree? Let us know in the comments!