Castle is back with its season premiere, “After the Storm.” Following four years of working together, Castle and Beckett are finally dating. Also, her and Esposito may be suspended from the NYPD, but that doesn’t stop them from solving cases. Find out why we were taken by storm in our review!
- Director: Rob Bowman
- Writer: David Amann
- Cast: Stana Katic, Nathan Fillion, Jon Huertas, Seamus Dever, Molly C. Quinn, Susan Sullivan
Episode Title: “After the Storm”
Castle and Beckett join Ryan and Esposito to solve the Johanna Beckett murder conspiracy. Alexis comes home with a hangover, interrupting Castle and Beckett. The pair decide to keep their relationship secret.
- Weathering the Storm: We finally learn who’s behind the murder of Beckett’s mother. It makes sense why so much effort was put into the cover-up. And the best part? Even though this case is being put on the backburner (for now), we know Beckett will find a way to lock this guy up.
- Ch-Ch-Changes: Beckett working alone, instead of as an NYPD officer is an intriguing new role for her. She no longer answers to Gates. She joined the force years ago to solve her mother’s case, and now she has the freedom to do so without limits. She’s now working towards justice for others — with no paycheck. She’s a superhero.
- Self-Protection: We like how Castle and Beckett are equally strong characters. Beckett’s ability to cleverly organize her own protection, without anyone’s help is beyond admirable. It’s a new level of wit, strength, and poise.
- Caskett: We finally get what we’ve always wanted — to see Castle and Beckett in love. But this is not how we envisioned their relationship! Why doesn’t Castle want to tell his family that he’s dating her? Both Martha and Alexis love Beckett!
- Promos/Trailers: This episode has far more depth than the advertising leading up to the premiere. Ads focused only on what “the proverbial morning-after” would look like. If you weren’t sure about this season based on advertisements alone, tune back in, because it’s better than ever.
- Castle: “So it wasn’t a dream?”
- Beckett: “I hid in your closet! Why won’t you hide in mine?”
- Ryan: “Hey Castle, what are you doing here?”
- Beckett: “I finally know who killed my mother. And there’s nothing I can do about it.”
- Castle: “If we got murdered right now, I’d feel so ripped off.” Beckett: “Yeah, me too!”
- Beckett: “That’s going to leave a nasty scar. Every time you see it, think of me.”
- Esposito: “Oh, you mean an extra extra piece?”
- Gates: “Let me see if I understand. As luck would have it, you three were in the neighborhood taking a walk.” Castle: “Many people consider it the best form of exercise.”
- Beckett: “I’m sure I’ll think of something.”
“After the Storm” kicked off Castle‘s fifth season with the humor, drama, and clever twists we’ve come to love. It’s arguably one of the most well-written episodes in the show’s history. It’s off to a great start!
Castle airs Monday nights at 10 p.m. on ABC.
How long do you think Beckett and Castle will be able to keep their secret? Let us know in the comments!