If you wanted to see the movie that caused a starlet to publicly apologize for having sex with her director… If you ever wanted to see an interesting Indie actress make the generic rom-com that is required of all young performers… If you ever wanted to see that movie from 1997 that made so much money about the unsinkable boat that sank, then this is a good week for DVD and Blu-ray.
- Beyond the Black Rainbow: We saw this film earlier this year and really liked it. A tone piece of Canadian horror, BtBR is the rare horror movie that is about tone and not about cheap “Boo!” scares.
- The Devil Inside: Speaking of cheap “Boo!” scares. This. This so hard.
- Lola Versus: I love Greta Gerwig. I hate that she made the standard indie rom-com about bad relationships. She appears to be clumsy in this from the trailer. Great.
- The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Third Season, The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season, Spartacus: Vengeance – The Complete Second Season: Your big television releases of the week. I’ve heard Spartacus turned into a pretty good TV show, so that’s something.
- Snow White and the Huntsman: This movie will probably be more famous for what happened on the set than the film itself. It was one of summer’s more successful movies, and stars Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theronand Chris Hemsworth in the stylish retelling of the old story.
- What to Expect When You’re Expecting: This came out in May, and surely the world has already forgotten about it. I can’t imagine a DVD and Blu-ray release will change that. Anna Kendrick is supposedly really good in the film, which also stars Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez.
Titanic: Is it “Near, far, wherever you are…” Coming off of its hit re-release, Titanic rises again. The film was a phenomenon in 1997, and it’s still revered all over the world. I’ve never particularly liked it, but there you go. This film made James Cameron into the superstar director he is today.
Ghosts of the Abyss – 3D: Speaking of Cameron, this was one of his pet project documentaries that had him going under water to investigate the wreckage of the Titanic, with Bill Paxton in tow.
Jeepers Creepers, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2: With Halloween right around the corner, Fox is doing another catalog dump. It feels like these all hit DVD around the same time ten years ago as well. That’s how they think. I will be picking up TCM2, because I love that insane film.
Steel Magnolias: The tear-jerking classic finally comes to Blu-ray! This is from Twilight Time, so you have to order it off of their website, but they’ve been doing some great work in terms of putting out interesting catalog titles from Fox and Sony.
What are you picking up this week?