Last night’s Weeds was about realization. Nancy realized she can’t keep making the same mistakes, while Andy asked himself why he’s an “effortless receiver of tail.” Who is he? A sex slave, that’s who! Overall, “Red in Tooth and Claw” was an eventful and entertaining episode.
- Director: Michael Trim
- Writers: Stephen Falk
- Cast: Mary-Louise Parker, Justin Kirk, Hunter Parrish, Alexander Gould, Kevin Nealon
Episode Title: “Red in Tooth and Claw”
After seeing the positive effects of enrolling Stevie in soccer, Nancy makes a life-altering decision. Jill dabbles in extreme “couponing,” and Andy falls into the arms of another woman. Meanwhile, Shane reaches the next level with Angela.
- Stevie and Soccer: Nancy blackmails a nervous soccer coordinator to get Stevie on the team. He turns out to be good — really good. He puts all the little boys to shame because he’s fast as hell, and Mexican. (“It’s in their blood!”) The whole scene with Nancy sitting on a camping chair, cheering Stevie on, reminded us of the Pilot episode when Nancy’s sitting at the park yelling at Shane for sucking at soccer. This season really is coming full circle.
- Andy’s Monologue: Poor Andy can’t figure out why women just throw themselves at him. He thinks it’s karma. We think it’s because he’s funny. But whatever. He gave an amazing and hilarious monologue last night. It’s been a while since we’ve heard Andy pour his heart out. He’s been so busy with Jill that we almost forgot how funny and charming he is. Anyway, he’s still got it and his imagination.
- Shane’s Horrible Date: Detective Frank Ouellette turns out to be an Obama-hater (no big surprise there). During his “ObamaCare sucks” rant, he manages to ruin Shane’s date with Angela, but it all turns out for the best because she understands drunk cops (her family is full of them). It’s interesting to see Shane be into a girl. Sometimes we forget that he’s not 10-years-old anymore. Or that he murdered someone a few years ago.
- The Quotable: “I don’t like Mexicans either, I just happened to get knocked up by one.”
- Code Breaker: After Doug slept with Celia (way back when), Dean nicknamed him “The Code Breaker.” Remember that? Well, Doug breaks the code again by sleeping with Jill. Gross! And Andy catches them. In utter disbelief, he just starts yelling “Code Breaker! Code Breaker!” It’s funny stuff, but can his friendship with Doug recover from this? After all, he actually loves Jill.
- Robbed Blind: Silas’ stash gets jacked again. This has officially become a thing for Silas. And it’s funny as hell because he always gets that same look of desperation and surprise on his face, like it shouldn’t have happened to him. But he’s a grower so this is going to continue happening. Still, how many times will Silas have to get robbed blind before he learns to trust no one?
Between Andy’s ridiculous monologue and Silas’ freak-out face, “Red in Tooth and Claw” is hands down, the best episode this season. Plus, seeing Stevie embrace his inner-Mexican was adorable and funny.
Weeds airs Sundays at 10 p.m. on Showtime.