Plotlines merge, partnerships form, and more weirdness occurs on this week’s True Blood. Eric and Bill enlist Sookie to help them find the infamous Russell Edgington, while Tara adjusts to life as a vampire. Find out more about “Let’s Boot and Rally” in our review.
- Director: Michael Lehmann
- Writer: Alan Ball, Angela Robinson
- Cast: Alexander Skarsgard, Anna Paquin, Stephen Moyer, Joe Manganiello, Scott Foley, Sam Trammell, Kristen Bauer van Straten, Ryan Kwanten, Christopher Meloni, Chris Bauer, Lauren Bowles, Nelsan Ellis, Valentina Cervi, Denis O’Hare
Episode Title: “Let’s Boot and Rally”
Bill and Eric interrupt Sookie and Alcide’s blossoming romance to seek help finding Russell. Lafayette calls out to Jesus for help amidst his struggle with demons. Patrick and Terry are held hostage by their Iraq War buddy Brian Eller, and Jessica gives Tara advice on transitioning from human to vampire. Sam delivers news to Luna on the deaths of their shape-shifter friends.
- Parallel Storylines: Roman, whose agenda is suddenly unclear after his spill at the beginning, delivers a speech. We see the actions of every character playing out in silence with Roman’s voice dubbed over it. It’s one of those moments that, albeit lasts 30 seconds or so, is a masterful example of good directing.
- Title Track: We love that True Blood incorporates a title track to match every episode, particularly this week’s. It’s called –you guessed it–”Let’s Boot and Rally,” which features music from DJ Gary Calamar and James Combs with vocals by Iggy Pop and Bethany Cosentino. The song is available for purchase on iTunes.
- Quotes: All those cheese-tastic lines that made us cringe have been replaced with strong ones that are laugh out loud funny. We won’t give any spoilers, but we will say we appreciate the nod to hackneyed horror cliches and the humor of supernatural fiction.
- Show Time Cut Short: Yes, “Let’s Boot and Rally” began two minutes after the hour and ended 10 minutes till. There is commentary from Alan Ball and several of the actors regarding the rest of the season. But that minimally makes up for it, especially in an episode as well-planned and well-executed as this one.
- Eric: “Alcide, you really know how to treat a lady.”
- Sookie: “Let’s Boot and Rally.”
- Eric: “New York City smells like pee and the people are rude.”
- Sookie: “Alcide, are we going to talk about me puking on your shoes?” Alcide: “Nope!”
- Molly: “And if you don’t make it, it’s been rad serving you. Peace out.”
- Tara: “So basically I’m your slave.” Pam: “Pretty much.”
- Sookie: “A 3,000-year old vampire wants to suck my blood. Must be Thursday!”
- Jessica: “We’re gonna live forever. We’re gonna be young forever. The world is wide open to us.”
“Let’s Boot and Rally” is undoubtedly the best episode of season five thus far. It merged and paralleled the multiple storylines that threw us off in “Authority Always Wins” and “Whatever I Am, You Made Me.” It brought the suspense with believable acting and significant humor.
True Blood airs Sunday nights at 9 p.m. on HBO.
What do you think about Russell Edgington’s reappearance? Let us know in the comments!