Tuesday’s season finale of Cougar Town ended the show’s ABC run, and it went out with a bang! In “My Life” the gang took another turn at movie parody, this time with Groundhog Day. While “Your World” centered on Jules and Grayson’s long-awaited wedding. Plenty of surprises were in store including a guest appearance by David Arquette.
Check out our full review below…
- Director: John Putch
- Writers: Bill Lawrence & Kevin Biegel
- Cast: Courteney Cox, Christa Miller, Busy Philipps, Dan Byrd, Josh Hopkins, Ian Gomez, Brian Van Holt, David Arquette Robert Clendenin, Nicole Sullivan, Sawyer Evan, Ken Jenkins, Edwin Hodge, Briga Heelan, Michael Ausiello
Episode Title: “My Life”/”Your World”
“My Life”- Grayson complains that his life is like the movie Groundhog Day. So to get a better understanding of the film, Jules asks Laurie and Ellie to throw her a Groundhog Day themed bachelorette party.
“Your World”- Jules and Grayson run away to Napa Valley to elope—with the entire cul-de-sac crew in tow.
- Key Necklaces: In the real world, people don’t generally float in and out of your house at any given moment. The key necklaces give a little believability to something that requires none. The fact that it brought out Grayson’s inner Hulk was just the icing on the cake.
- Are They Robots?: Everyone knows someone like Jules; no matter how many times they see a movie, they never quite get it. Nothing stops these people from asking the most inane questions. The Groundhog Day bachelorette party, in which Ellie and Laurie attempt to explain the film to Jules, made something funny that’s usually excruciating.
- Hoestradamus: Everyone should be saying this all the time. Please start now.
- Pull the Pin: Was it right for Grayson to drop the maid-of-honor truth bombshell on Laurie? Probably not, but Jules is never able to learn a lesson until a point is properly driven home. His mime of ripping the grenade off Ellie’s belt, pulling the pin, and watching it explode was more satisfying than it should have been.
- Wedding Date Birthday Blowout: We know, we know, Laurie and Travis again. But this time, right as they’re going to kiss, Wade pops up just in time to ruin everything to surprise Laurie. As annoying as it may be to go through this continuous back and forth, real relationships start off in just this manner. Every one of them needs a big embarrassing declaration—like Travis drunkenly confessing his love for Laurie in the nude in front of the entire cul-de-sac crew—to get the ball rolling. Maybe season four?
- The Concierge: David Arquette’s turn as the overly helpful concierge was delightful, albeit brief. Him and Ellie’s flirtation felt like something that could continue into next season.
- Beach Nuptial: They spent most of the hour compromising on some of the tougher issues in their relationship, like his need for privacy and her need to be around people constantly. Still, Jules and Grayson had the spontaneous beach wedding of their dreams, with all the important people in attendance, including the show’s co-creator and episode writer Bill Lawrence. The moving ceremony—literally and figuratively—was filmed at a time when Cougar Town’s future was questionable at best. It would have been a fitting end to the series. Luckily, that’s not the case.
- “Looks like V-necks are all the rage in Doucheberg.”
- “You know how I keep from crying? I have two little secrets: my nuts.”
Cougar Town is the best at taking warm and fuzzy feelings and making them come off genuine, where in other shows they might seem corny. The special hour-long episode wrapped up a few key story lines while leaving room to grow for others. The show’s ready to move to TBS, and hopefully you are too!
Cougar Town will return next season on TBS.
What did you think of the finale?