With just one episode left, the epic battle for King’s Landing is finally upon the us. In this week’s Game of Thrones, each character shows their true colors while under siege. In “Blackwater,” Stannis and his army finally make their move and have victory within their grasp.
Find out more in our review…
- Creators: David Benioff, D.B. Weiss
- Writers: David Benioff, George R.R. Martin, D.B. Weiss
- Cast: Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Michelle Fairley, Richard Madden, Kit Harington, Alfie Allen, Maisie Williams, Charles Dance, Iain Glen, Sophie Turner, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Gwendoline Christie, Sibel Kekilli, Oona Chaplin, Rose Leslie
Episode Title: “Blackwater”
Black is a common theme of the show, and this week, its superficial representation of evil takes a powerful turn. Not only does it represent the literal black water that Stannis must cross to reach King’s Landing, but also Cersei’s deadly intentions to avoid a life under her brother-in-law’s rule.
- Cersei: So undeniably evil, Cersei is one of the most compelling characters on the show. The writers give her such a multifaceted sneer that she becomes a hypnotic, sadistic diamond on camera. She has the woman’s side of the game all figured out, and horrifies Sansa with what’s to come, near future or far. Suicide pact, anyone?
- Wildfire: In one of the greatest CGI scenes this season, an empty ship crosses paths with Stannis’ fleet, a ghostly specter against his massive firepower. A green liquid pours out and ignites with one flaming arrow into a massive, flotilla-busting explosion turning the tides of the battle. The ensuing encounter is dimly lit and grisly with Stannis himself leading the charge.
- Tyrion: No doubt the male stand out of the show, the evolution of Tyrion is one of its strongest points. Taking command of the battle after The Hound defects and Joffrey is commanded to his mother’s side is epically cinematic, especially when he takes a near-fatal blow in the closing minutes.
- Nothing: It would be a tough reach to find any critical points in the episode. While none of the other subplots were addressed, the battle for King’s Landing has been one of the best of the season.
“Blackwater” was a great episode that left us with two major questions. Will Sansa flee with The Hound, or stay chained in fear to her betrothed? And will Tyrion be saved from the battlefield or meet his maker? We’ll have to anxiously wait until next week to find out.
Game of Thrones airs Sunday nights at 9:00 p.m. on HBO
What did you think of this week’s episode?