Everyone on the Upper East Side has hit rock bottom, starting with Serena, who is unrecognizable these days. Who would have thought that Serena would trade the spotlight for a dark room and a laptop with internet access? Lily and Rufus are still at odds, living in different boroughs of New York; and Chuck can’t catch a break with his on-and-off again mother situation. Let’s go over ‘Salon of the Dead’.
- Director: Norman Buckley
- Writer: Natalie Krinsky
- Cast: Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford, Ed Westwick
Episode Title: “Salon of the Dead“
Blair and Dan go public with their relationship and host a salon. Meanwhile, Lola gets to audition for a coveted role; Lily and Rufus clash over how to deal with Ivy; and Serena and Diana have a confrontation about secrets they don’t want divulged.
- Lola Gets Out Alive: Lola survives Gossip Girl and realizes her mother was right – the Upper East Side is toxic. Lola decides that the UES isn’t for her. She gives Serena a nice little speech about why she’s done with the UES and Gossip Girl. It actually leaves Serena stunned. It’s always good to see someone turn down the UES, just because so many other characters weren’t able to.
- More Secrets Ahead: Diana has more secrets. Here’s hoping they’re exciting and actually make sense.
- Serena Has Really Gone Mad With Power: At the end of last night’s episode, Serena tells Lola that Gossip Girl is the only thing she can hold on to because her life is usually a mess. This is not a good enough excuse for the massive amount of wrongs Serena has done in the past few weeks. In ‘Salon of the Dead’, Serena deliberately hurts Lola and that’s unbelievable because Serena values her family and honesty (or at least she did). Serena is now the most unlikable character in New York, and there’s something very wrong about that.
- The Truth About Diana (SPOILERS!): It turns out Diana is Chuck’s mom. GASP! We did not see that one coming, folks. Kudos to the writers for thinking that one up; making Diana Chuck’s mom is probably the second most disturbing storyline to be on Gossip Girl, right under Serena and Dan dating while sharing a sibling.
- Bradgelina Of The Five Boroughs: Who exactly were those two? That whole scene with Blair and Dan and the couple of the five boroughs was strange. Were those people actors or actual New York people?
- Eavesdropping: Two very important things happened last night, and all thanks to good old eavesdropping. First, Serena overhears Diana talking to Jack about something that happened the night of Chuck’s accident; then Lola overhears Blair and Dan talk about Dan’s second novel. It’s just a shame that the writers have resorted to a cheap trick, like eavesdropping, to propel the plot forward.
We’ve been waiting a long time to see what Diana’s been hiding, and while the payoff was shocking, it doesn’t add up. Like Chuck said: Diana was sleeping with his best friend, walking around his apartment in her underwear, and she never even showed signs of caring for Chuck. As for Lola, she learned a good lesson and got out alive, but this all happened at Serena’s cost. Serena needs to go back to being the lovable, care-free girl we all rooted for because she’s such a confusing/evil character now that we really don’t know what to do with her.
“Gossip Girl” airs at 8 p.m. on The CW.