The last “Parks and Recreation” episode until April 19th is solid comedy, highlighted by a terrific script from cast member Nick Offerman. The show heads to the NBC bench with a funny guest appearance by Sean Hayes, who encounters a rather tipsy Leslie Knope. It’s getting redundant to call it another excellent episode of comedy, but that’s how it is! See ya in a few weeks, ‘Parks & Rec’.
Check below for the complete review…
- Director: Troy Miller
- Writers: Nick Offerman
- Cast: Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Nick Offerman, Adam Scott, Aziz Ansari, Jim O’Heir, Retta, Aubrey Plaza, Rob Lowe, and Chris Pratt
Leslie and Ben are excited when Buddy Wood wants to interview Leslie for his Indianapolis talk show. April and Ron help Andy for his final exam in his Women’s Studies course.
- Ron/Nick Offerman: The script for “Lucky” comes from Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson), which makes sense considering all the steak and consensual sex going in the episode. Kudos to Offerman on serving up a funny episode and not forgetting to give himself some nice moments. He also thinks Walkmans are still around and cost like $25.
- Andy: Andy’s Women’s Studies final with Professor London was more fin for me than the Leslie/Buddy Wood stuff. The after test celebration (he got a P, but sadly not a P-plus), with Chris joining Ron, April, Andy and the sexy professor was very funny stuff. And when a pretty gal asks you to go home with her, Ron shows us once again the only suitable response is: “Yes.”
- Jerry: Wow, did I like watching Jerry stuff those envelopes. The man is a machine! He totally gets it. This minor, yet funny, storyline also highlights how awesome Donna is.
- Sean Hayes: Usually Sean Hayes annoys me when I watch a ‘Will & Grace’ re-run, but he did fine work as Buddy Wood.
- 3rd Steak: My god, I was laughing so hard when Ron ordered the third steak. Chris bringing his own salad dressing, much to the waitress’ dismay, was also funny.
- Nympho: The nympho-on-the-butt cold open was inspired stuff. One of the better openers of the season. Damn! You go, Nick Offerman, TV writer!
- Drunk Leslie: I wasn’t blown away with the interview-gone-bad storyline, but Leslie had some funny moments with Buddy Wood. And she does know what Tiramisu is!!
The Bad (but not that bad):
- Ann/Tom: Here we are again. I know Tom digs Ann, but I am not getting any heat coming from Ann. Is she just tolerating all his antics, or is she trying to will herself into feelings? Regardless, I don’t get it. Counting the hours between break-ups is not funny to me.
Even if you missed the opening credits you might think the “Lucky” episode was written by Nick Offerman (aka Ron Swanson) with all the multiple steaks and sex with hot professors. It was a damn funny episode, and I hope Offerman continues to add his writing skills to the show.
Drunk Leslie locking horns with Buddy Wood (Sean Hayes) had some fine moments, but I enjoyed the Andy takes a Women’s’ Studies final storyline better, especially because we include Ron, lonely Chris, April, and Professor London.
And who wasn’t mesmerized by Jerry’s envelope stuffing skills? Mad skills! And we need more Donna. More… please.
The show takes a brief hiatus to make room for “Community,” but will return April 19th for the stretch run.
“Parks and Recreation” airs on NBC at 8:30 pm (ET/PT) on Thursday nights.
What did you think of last night’s episode?