“The Office” wraps up its sojourn to Florida with plenty of laughs and yet another Dwight-Jim confrontation. Robert California returns briefly, and the Erin-Andy story looks like it’s about ready for a finale. An uneven episode is once again saved by the hijinks in Florida. Maybe they should just leave that group down there!
Check below for the complete review…
- Director: Matt Sohn
- Writers: Mindy Kaling
- Cast: Rainn Wilson, James Spader, John Krasinski, B.J. Novak, Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Creed Bratton, Mindy Kaling, Ellie Kemper, Angela Kinsey, Paul Lieberstein, Oscar Nuñez, Craig Robinson, Phyllis Smith
Episode: “Last Day In Florida”
After Robert California reveals that he doesn’t like Nellie’s business plan, Jim tries to save Dwight from being fired. Meanwhile, Andy learns that Erin isn’t coming back to Scranton.
- Dwight/Jim: Dwight helping Jim up after their wrestling match – and Dwight seeing for his own eyes what might have happened – was a solid moment for a superb TV duo. Dwight’s constant, hair-related putdowns of Jim were rather funny.
- Tumblr: Ryan is on Tumblr? How did I not know this, and what is the url?
- Erin/Andy: Erin was funny as she appears to be on the way to ruining that old woman’s life. The boiled Gatorade was a nice touch. And even I could feel the pain when Andy realized Erin was not coming back.
- Toby: Not sure if the glasses thing is new, but I like it.
- Cookies: Kevin dropping a rap on us about cookies was funny.
- Kiss: The Meredith-Kevin kiss worked for me. The man is desperate for cookies!
- Creed: The cold open was a winner. Creed handling the treasure box only seemed appropriate.
- Cookies: This storyline turned really old, really fast. Once again, all the fun – and funny dialogue – is happening down in Florida. Sure, Toby does have a ‘star quality,’ but even he and Darryl singing and dancing couldn’t keep me interested.
Something about this episode… One minute I am delighted by the brief return of Robert California, and the next I am bored watching Jim and Dwight wrestle in the hallway. Speaking of Jim feverishly trying to stop Dwight from getting his ass fired, I believe the closing moment when Dwight, having seen what might have happened to him, offers a hand to help Jim up after their tussle was one of my top 3 moments of the season – and I don’t even have a clue what the other two are. Considering the duo’s longstanding, and usually hilarious, rivalry, this was a simple moment that spoke a lot to how great the two characters have played off one another for eight seasons.
Okay, so that was all fine and sweet. The cookie business back at Scranton was boring. Kevin rapping about cookies, not boring, but the rest was forgettable.
I did like watching Erin kinda destroy that nice old woman’s life, as well as Andy’s sad/angry response to hearing she is not coming back. I guess now he bolts down to Florida and the romance is back on.
Watching Stanley slowly morph back into blah, Scranton Stanley as he realizes the Florida fun is over was a highlight.
So yes, there was much goodness splattered across the episode. But as a complete episode it is weak. The storyline that sent half the staff to Florida was a big success, unfortunately the ensemble left back in Scranton was left with not much to do. But now the whole gang is back and it’s into the home stretch for season eight.
“The Office” airs on NBC at 9pm (ET/PT) on Thursday nights.
What did you think of last night’s episode?