Dead or alive, Cece always brought out the worst in people. In last night’s episode of “Gossip Girl“, Cece’s wake was battlefield central. Bombs kept dropping and exploding, and each was bigger than the last. Blair delivered some starling and heartbreaking news to Chuck; and Dr. William van der Woodsen, Serena’s dad, showed up to deliver some even more starling and devastating news to the Rhodes girls. Ah, and Georgina crashed yet another Upper East Side gathering.
- Director: Andrew McCarthy
- Writer: Jake Coburn
- Cast: Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford, Ed Westwick
Episode Title: “The Princess Dowry“
Blair believes there’s a possible loophole in her prenup. Meanwhile, Chuck conspires with Georgina on a scheme; and William returns to support his family in a crisis.
- An Irish Wake: Cece was never one for simple goodbyes, that’s why it made perfect sense to us that she requested an Irish wake – wait, are the Rhodes Irish? We don’t think so – after all, she did enjoy her booze.
- Meet The Rhodes Heir (SPOILERS!): And the heir to the Rhodes fortune is none other than… Ivy Dickens. Cece, being the know-it-all that she was, knew that Ivy was a con artist pretending to be her granddaughter, but still made her the heir. We have yet to find out why she would do something so dangerous, but for what it was, seeing the look on Carol, Serena and Lily’s faces was priceless.
- A Deal With The Devil: Blair spent the episode trying to figure out a way out of her marriage. At first, she thought there might be some loophole pre-nup, there wasn’t. Then her Royal babysitter offered her a way out, Blair took it, but screwed things up. Finally, left with no other choices, Blair made a deal with the devil, a.k.a. Georgina. She promised to get her out, but in return she wanted Blair to be indebted to her. We love how dangerous that sounds.
- Best Line: Dorota to Serena, “Too many secrets. I feel like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.” Don’t we all, Dorota? Don’t we all?
- Daddy Drama (SPOILERS!): It turns out that Serena and real Charlie, a.k.a. Lola, aren’t just cousins, but sisters from one Dr. William van der Woodsen. According to Carol, she and Will had an affair while he was married to Lily. This is news to us all, including Will. As much as we appreciate some baby daddy drama, this was so predictable. The minute Will greeted Carol at the wake, we knew something was up.
- Dair (SPOILERS!): Blair realized that she’s no longer in love with Chuck, and ran to Dan’s Brooklyn apartment to protest her love to him, but something didn’t feel right. Wasn’t this what we were rooting for all season long? Why doesn’t it feel right?
- Annulment/No Annulment: Seeing Blair go back and forth between plans to try and get out of her marriage was exhausting, much like her character nowadays.
- No More Chair? (SPOILERS!): Did you catch that bit above? Blair doesn’t love Chuck anymore, or shall we say, she’s not “in love” with him anymore. We agree that their relationship isn’t as dynamic as it once was, but how did we get to this point? How did Chair become history, and Dair become part of the present?
Alright so, Ivy’s now rich and Lily is homeless; Serena and Lola are sisters; Chuck and Blair are over; and Blair and Dan are a couple. That pretty much sums up last night’s episode.
“Gossip Girl” returns Monday, April 2nd at 8 p.m. on The CW.