Love infiltrated the Upper East Side air on last night’s “Gossip Girl,” and no one was happy about it. Chuck and Dan seemed especially sour – the two can’t seem to get on with their lives without Blair, who, by the way, returned from her honeymoon with a new guardian to watch her every move. The only one who seemed eager for V-Day was Nate, who for the past few weeks has been under a love spell for a certain cater waiter named Charlie Rhodes a.k.a. Lola. Overall, last night’s episode lacked some serious romance, but where romance lacked, drama made up for it. Let’s go over ‘Crazy, Cupid, Love.’
- Director: Matt Penn
- Writer: Austin Winsberg
- Cast: Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford, Ed Westwick
Episode Title: “Crazy, Cupid, Love”
Blair attempts to play cupid between Dan and Serena, while Nate hosts a Valentine’s Day party for The Spectator. Georgina crashes the party and stirs up trouble.
- Blair Plays Cupid (SPOILERS!): Blair decides to help out Serena and Dan’s relationship. At first, her intentions seem genuine (Serena is her best friend after all), but after while, one has to ask themselves, when has Blair ever played cupid? Uh, never. Someone’s got a guilty conscious. Still, it’s fun to see Blair attempt a good deed and then fail by kissing Dan.
- 2007 All Over Again: For a second there it seemed like we were back in 2007 – school girl uniforms, jello shots and lots of plaid. Nate decides to make the theme of his Valentine’s Day party, ‘come as your high school self.’ Yes, it’s a horrible theme, but it was fun to see the a blast from the past. It reminded us of how great this show use to be.
- Fake Charlie Returns (SPOILERS!): Ivy returns, and surprisingly, no one is upset that she just left without saying goodbye. The big moment though, comes when real Charlie and fake Charlie spot each other. Lola finally figures out that her mom has been lying to her all this time and does some digging on herself. What’s going to happen? Is Lola going to expose her mom and Ivy? We’re excited to see.
- Best Line: Blair to Dan, “This tie didn’t work in high school and it doesn’t work now.”
- A Forbidden Kiss (SPOILERS!): After Blair’s failed attempt at being cupid, she shamelessly kisses Dan, and Serena walks in. Poor Serena! Also, Georgina manages to snap a shot of the two kissing, but Dan seems to be the only one concerned, which doesn’t make much sense to us because Blair is the married one. Isn’t she worried this will get out to Louie? Still, the kiss had a long time coming, and we were able to see Dair express their feelings for each other, finally.
- Serena V. Blair: We’ve seen this before – Serena and Blair fighting over a boy. Remember when Blair loved Nate, but Nate loved Serena? Well, that’s sort of what’s happening now expect with Dan. Serena loves Dan, but Dan loves Blair. As entertaining as the love triangles of “Gossip Girl” are, we do wish there were more characters to fall in love with.
Overall, it was a crummy Valentine’s Day for the gang, but a few great moments of drama.
“Gossip Girl” airs Monday nights at 8 p.m. on The CW.