Despite the Super Bowl, the box office enjoyed another successful weekend. Both Chronicle and The Woman In Black opened to more than $20 million each, far more than we predicted. 20th Century Fox’s Chronicle was expected to make $12.5 million, but instead the superhero flick shocked with $22 million, debuting at No. 1. Daniel Radcliffe‘s first major role in a film outside of the Harry Potter franchise, The Woman In Black, also got off to a good start and came in at No. 2 with an estimated $21 million. Last weekend’s winner The Grey dropped to third place and brought in $9.5 million. Drew Barrymore and John Krasinski‘s Big Miracle didn’t do as well as the other new releases, but still managed to exceed our expectations with $8.5 million. And finally, rounding off the top 5 was Underworld Awakening, which brought in an additional $5.6 million.
Check out the numbers…
- Chronicle (2012) | NEW | Fox | Weekend Gross $22,000,000 | Average Per Theater $7,568 | Total Gross $22,000,000 | Film’s Budget – $12 | Week 1
- The Woman in Black | NEW | CBS | Weekend Gross $21,000,000 | Average Per Theater $7,356 | Total Gross $21,000,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- The Grey | Last Week #1 | Open Road Films | Weekend Gross $9,500,000 | Average Per Theater $2,961 | Total Gross $34,756,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 2
- Big Miracle | NEW | Universal | Weekend Gross $8,500,000 | Average Per Theater $3,992 | Total Gross $8,500,000 | Film’s Budget – $40 | Week 1
- Underworld Awakening | Last Week #2 | Screen Gems | Weekend Gross $5,600,000 | Average Per Theater $2,124 | Total Gross $54,353,000 | Film’s Budget – $70 | Week 3
- One For the Money | Last Week #3 | Lions Gate Films | Weekend Gross $5,250,000 | Average Per Theater $1,918 | Total Gross $19,668,000 | Film’s Budget – $40 | Week 2
- Red Tails | Last Week #4 | Fox | Weekend Gross $5,000,000 | Average Per Theater $2,130 | Total Gross $41,323,000 | Film’s Budget – $58 | Week 3
- The Descendants | Last Week #8 | Fox Searchlight | Weekend Gross $4,600,000 | Average Per Theater $2,257 | Total Gross $65,523,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 12
- Man on a Ledge | Last Week #5 | Summit Entertainment | Weekend Gross $4,500,000 | Average Per Theater $1,501 | Total Gross $14,700,000 | Film’s Budget – $42 | Week 2
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close | Last Week #6 | WB | Weekend Gross $3,925,000| Average Per Theater $1,567 | Total Gross $26,793,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 7
The Woman In Black‘s success answered one important question – it’s likely that many had asked themselves if Dan Rad would be a bankable actor outside the Harry Potter franchise, and it seems so. Not only is the film a surprise financial hit, but it’s also received positive reviews. Scar or not, Radcliffe’s still got it.
What did you watch this first weekend of 2012?