Liam Neeson‘s action film The Grey easily walked away as the winner of this weekend’s box office, making $20 million. That’s a whole $5 million more than we expected. Open Road, the film’s distributor, took a risk in releasing The Grey; Unlike Man on A Ledge, which also hit theaters last Friday, The Grey is targeted towards men and is rated-R. Still, Mr. Neeson proved, once again, that he is a bankable action star. Underworld: Awakening slipped to No. 2, making $12.5 million. Coming in at No. 3 was the new Katherine Heigl‘s rom-com One For The Money, which exceeded Hollywood’s expectations by making $11.7 million. George Lucas‘ Red Tails, another hold-over from last week, came in at No. 4 with $10.4 million, bringing its total to $33.8 million. And lastly, at No. 5 was Man on a Ledge with $8.2 million.
Check out the numbers…
- The Grey | NEW | Open Road | Weekend Gross $20,000,000 | Average Per Theater $6,279 | Total Gross $20,000,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Underworld Awakening | Last Week #1 | Screen Gems | Weekend Gross $12,500,000 | Average Per Theater $4,061 | Total Gross $45,126,000 | Film’s Budget – $70 | Week 2
- One For The Money | NEW | Lions Gate Films | Weekend Gross $11,750,000 | Average Per Theater $4,293 | Total Gross $11,750,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Red Tails | Last Week #2 | Fox | Weekend Gross $10,400,000 | Average Per Theater $4,042 | Total Gross $33,780,000 | Film’s Budget – $58 | Week 2
- Man on a Ledge | NEW | Summit Entertainment | Weekend Gross $8,300,000 | Average Per Theater $2,769 | Total Gross $8,300,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close | Last Week #4 | WB | Weekend Gross $7,145,000 | Average Per Theater $2,717 | Total Gross $21,106,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 6
- The Descendants | Last Week #16 | Fox Searchlight | Weekend Gross $6,550,000 | Average Per Theater $3,273 | Total Gross $58,848,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 11
- Contraband | Last Week #3 | Universal | Weekend Gross $6,500,000 | Average Per Theater $2,453 | Total Gross $56,400,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 3
- Beauty and the Beast | Last Week #5 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $5,345,000 | Average Per Theater $2,492 | Total Gross $41,147,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 3
- Haywire | Last Week #6 | Relativity | Weekend Gross $4,000,000 | Average Per Theater $1,639 | Total Gross $15,279,000 | Film’s Budget – $23 | Week 2
George Clooney‘s The Descendants enjoyed a bump over the weekend. The award winning film went from No. 16 to No. 7, after expanding its release. The film took in $6.5 million, bringing its total to a notable $58.8 million. This Friday we’ve got Chronicle, Big Miracle and The Woman in Black all opening in wide-release. Which film, if any, will knock They Grey off the top? Any guesses?
What did you watch over the weekend?