Kate Beckinsale jumped from one top spot to another. The fierce actress remained at the top of the box office with her new movie Underworld Awakening, which brought in a solid amount of $25.4 million. In the No. 2 spot was Red Tails which made a surprising solid debut of $19.1 million. Contraband, Beckinsale’s other movie, fell to No. 3. The heist thriller grossed $12.2 million over the weekend, bringing its total to $46.1 million. Five weeks after its debut, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close finally broke into the top 10 with $10.5 million, coming in before Stephen Soderbergh‘s Haywire. The 9/11 film came in at No. 4, while Haywire rounded out the top 5 with $9 million.
Check out the numbers…
- Underworld Awakening | NEW | Screen Gems | Weekend Gross $25,400,000 | Average Per Theater $8,252 | Total Gross $25,400,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Red Tails | NEW | Fox | Weekend Gross $19,100,000 | Average Per Theater $7,604 | Total Gross $19,100,000 | Film’s Budget – $58 | Week 1
- Contraband | Last Week #1 | Universal | Weekend Gross $12,200,000 | Average Per Theater $4,251 | Total Gross $46,100,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 2
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close | Last Week #36 | WB | Weekend Gross $10,545,000 | Average Per Theater $4,010 | Total Gross $11,237,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 5
- Haywire | NEW | Relativity | Weekend Gross $9,000,000 | Average Per Theater $3,390 | Total Gross $9,000,000 | Film’s Budget – $23 | Week 1
- Beauty and the Beast | Last Week #2 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $8,556,000 | Average Per Theater $3,259 | Total Gross $33,364,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 2
- Joyful Noise | Last Week #4 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $6,075,000 | Average Per Theater $2,221 | Total Gross $21,903,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 2
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol | Last Week #3 | Paramount | Weekend Gross $5,540,000 | Average Per Theater $2,199 | Total Gross $21,903,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 2
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows | Last Week #5 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $4,805,000 | Average Per Theater $1,934 | Total Gross $178,611,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 6
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo | Last Week #5 | Sony | Weekend Gross $3,750,000 | Average Per Theater $1,966 | Total Gross $94,775,000 | Film’s Budget – $90 | Week 5
Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks‘ 9/11 movie was nowhere near the top before this past weekend. Thanks to a nationwide release however, the film was able to break into the top 5. We completely underestimated the film in our Box Office Predictions post. Another film we got wrong was Beauty and the Beast 3D, which came in at No. 6 this past weekend. The Disney film isn’t doing as well as The Lion King, which is probably what the studio was hoping for. So far The Beauty and the Beast has earned a grand total of $33.3 million. Better luck next time Disney!
What did you watch this first weekend of 2012?