Once again, the mid-season finale of “Gossip Girl” left us with another car crash, this time involving everybody’s favorite couple Blair and Chuck. Previews for “The End of the Affair” suggested that the accident left Chuck in a critical state and that he might not make it. But this is “Gossip Girl” and killing off Chuck would just be unbearable. However, let’s just go ahead and say that there was a death. Meanwhile, Serena and Nate are busy planning a New Year’s Eve party for the NY Spectator.
Let’s go over Monday’s 2012 premiere of “Gossip Girl.”
- Director: Michael Grossman
- Writer: Sara Goodman
- Cast: Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford, Ed Westwick
Episode Title: “The End Of The Affair“
Blair’s flashbacks reveal the fallout of her and Chuck’s car accident, which Nate realizes may have been caused by foul play. Meanwhile, Lily gets a private eye to locate Charlie; and Vera Wang makes an appearance at Blair’s bridal-dress fitting.
- Vera Wang Pops In: The infamous wedding gown designer made a special appearance on last night’s episode, and her timing was impeccable. During a very emotional scene between Blair and Dan, Vera Wang pops in asking, “Is everything okay?”
- Nate And Gossip Girl: Nate unknowingly sends texts to Gossip Girl and finds out that the car crash wasn’t an accident caused by crazy paparazzi.
- Will The Real Charlie Rhodes Please Stand Up? (SPOILERS): We finally get to see who the real Charlie Rhodes is and what she looks like. We’re looking forward to seeing how Serena and her family react to the truth about Ivy.
- Best Line: Serena to Blair on why Chuck survived the accident: “That wasn’t a miracle, that was modern medicine.”
- A Religious Blair: The only other time Blair has been to church was during Season 1, when she went to confess that she had surrendered her virtue to a self-imposed ass (ahem, Chuck Bass). This is why this whole new, religious Blair is both good and bad. It is sort of unbelievable to think that Blair would spend her Sunday mornings at Mass instead of watching Breakfast at Tiffany’s, but at the same time we understand that she’s having a mental breakdown. Blair has just had a miscarriage, she’s engaged to a man she’s not in love with, and the man she is in love with nearly died. Religion is her way of coping.
- No More Gossip Girl: Serena managed to take down Gossip Girl. We’re not sure how, but we do know that Serena is getting all of her tips now. We figure this is the beginning of a story line where we finally find out who Gossip Girl is. Took them long enough!
- Cheap Shot (SPOILERS!): Surprise, surprise, Blair lost her baby during the crash. In the back of our heads, we knew this was going to happen (maybe not a car crash, but that Blair would have a miscarriage), but in our hearts we were hoping that something like this wouldn’t happen. The car accident just feels wrong, like a cheap ploy to get rid of something that shouldn’t have happened to begin with (in this case, the pregnancy). What makes this worse is that Blair wasn’t too disappointed when she found out she lost her baby. Doesn’t something like this leave you scarred for life?
- Forbidden Love (SPOILERS!): We’ve been playing this game for a long, long time. Blair can’t be with Chuck and vice-versa. One of the latest reasons, or rather excuses, why Chair couldn’t be together was because of Blair’s unexpected pregnancy and engagement to Prince Louie. We’ve long realized that the writers of “Gossip Girl” just keep making up excuses to extend this forbidden love story line (that we’ve become addicted to), but at least a pregnancy was a sturdy excuse. Now that the writers have gotten rid of the baby, they’ve come up with yet another excuse for Blair and Chuck not to be together. However, this time, the excuse is just too ridiculous. We’re getting tired of this game. It’s a shame that the writers prefer to make up cheesy and unbelievable excuses for these two characters not to be together (when they obviously love each other), instead of developing new story lines with new characters.
- Dan And Serena 4.0?: It seems like Serena might have feelings for Dan again. Uh, no. Please writers don’t do this to us. This would technically be considered incest! We can’t handle that!
Chuck and Blair have a very compelling love story and the two actors who play they have amazing chemistry onscreen. However, we’re getting tired of the chase.
“Gossip Girl” returns January 16, 2012 at 8 p.m. on The CW.