The Devil Inside debuted at the top during 2012′s first weekend, and so far, the box office is off to a great start. This is a good sign. The low-budget fright film made an outstanding debut of $34.5 million – that’s a lot more than last year’s Season of the Witch. Tom Cruise‘s Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol might’ve slipped to No. 2, but Paramount is still the big winner. The Devil Inside might not be a hit with critics, but it’s a record breaker. The film now holds the title as the biggest opening ever for the first weekend of the year. As for the action sequel, it might no longer be No. 1, but over the weekend Cruise’s latest reached a total of $170.2 million. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows followed with $14 million; The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo came in at No. 4 with $11.3 million; and Alvin and the Chipmunks rounded out the top 5 with $9.5 million.
Check out the numbers…
- The Devil Inside | NEW | Paramount | Weekend Gross $34,500,000 | Average Per Theater $15,098 | Total Gross $34,500,000 | Film’s Budget – $1 | Week 1
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol | Last Week #1 | Paramount | Weekend Gross $20,500,000 | Average Per Theater $5,767 | Total Gross $170,201,000 | Film’s Budget – $145 | Week 4
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows | Last Week #2 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $14,055,000 | Average Per Theater $3,901 | Total Gross $157,415,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 4
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo | Last Week #4 | SONY | Weekend Gross $11,300,000 | Average Per Theater $3,831 | Total Gross $76,836,000 | Film’s Budget – $90 | Week 3
- Alvin and the Chipmunks | Last Week #3 | FOX | Weekend Gross $9,500,000 | Average Per Theater $2,774 | Total Gross $111,588,000 | Film’s Budget – $75 | Week 4
- War Horse | Last Week #5 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $8,603,000 | Average Per Theater $3,091 | Total Gross $56,828,000 | Film’s Budget – $66 | Week 3
- We Bought a Zoo | Last Week #6 | Fox | Weekend Gross $8,450,000 | Average Per Theater $2,666 | Total Gross $56,544,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 3
- The Adventures of Tintin | Last Week #7 | Paramount | Weekend Gross $6,600,000 | Average Per Theater $2,196 | Total Gross $61,880,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 3
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy | Last Week #17 | Focus Features | Weekend Gross $5,767,000 | Average Per Theater $7,129 | Total Gross $10,418,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 5
- New Year’s Eve | Last Week #8 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $3,265,000 | Average Per Theater $1,752 | Total Gross $52,026,000 | Film’s Budget – $56 | Week 5
We definitely underestimated the power of The Devil Inside. We predicted a weak weekend of $16.8 million, and boy were we wrong. The studio bought The Devil Inside for a bargain price of $1 million, and lucky for them, the horror film is a financial hit. This does remind us of another certain low-budget horror film that is now a popular franchise – ahem, Paranormal Activity. If The Devil Inside keeps getting this kind of (cash) attention, it won’t be long before we hear that Paramount is producing a sequel. That’s just how things work around Tinseltown.
What did you watch this first weekend of 2012?