During the penultimate episode of “ANTM All-Stars” Tyra became a film director and the models got to wear amazing dresses. The girls are still in Greece and the competition is heating up. It’s down to the final four and eliminations are getting harder and harder to make. Last night the models got to blog for Franca Sozzani – something that the winner will actually get to do for Vogue Italy. Male supermodel Tyson Beckford drops in during the final day of shooting and one of the models goes boy crazy. He also fills in as guest judge and helps pick the final three. Let’s go over last night’s episode of “America’s Next Top Model.”
- Judges: Tyra Banks, Nigel Barker, Andre Leon Talley
- Guest Judges: Tyson Beckford
- Cast: Lisa D’Amato (Cycle 5), Allison Harvard (Cycle 12), Laura Kirkpatrick (Cycle 13), and Angelea Preston (Cycle 14).
Episode Title: “Tyson Beckford”
The final four ladies write a fashion blog for Franca Sozzani. Also, Tyra shoots the models for a motion editorial. Tyson Beckford is a guest judge.
- Blog Challenge: Fashion blogs are a major thing right now (hell, blogs are a major thing no matter what the niche may be). When it comes to fashion, though, blogs can give industry outsiders a ticket into the fashion world. Bloggers have become muses for designers (like Tavi Gevinson for Rodarte). So it’s important to give this “newer” medium the attention it deserves. Last night’s ANTM challenge was to have each model go out and do what fashion bloggers usually do – take pictures of their outfits and then write about them. Unfortunately we didn’t get to see the actual blogs, but we saw each girl go out to different locations to take photos. It was a fun process.
- Yellow dresses: For the film shoot, the models got to wear these amazing yellow warrior-like dresses with long flow-y trains on the back. When Tyra showed the film during panel, those dresses looked insanely good.
- Director Tyra: Tyra wrote a book (see below). So for ANTM‘s last shoot (yes, the cycle is over next week), Tyra decided to make a short film based on her book Modelland and direct it. Surprisingly, she was a pretty good director. Some of the shots required tears, and Tyra was able to bring her models to that emotional level by giving good direction. In the end, she got what she wanted from them.
- Shameless Advertising of Modelland: Oh Tyra, your book is already a best-seller, why push it? Tyra shamelessly advertised her book during last night’s episode saying, “And ya’ll Modelland is fun, it’s hippy, it’s a fantastical book and it’s all about Tuki’s journey through friendship and bullies and….” We know she wasn’t saying all this to her models, she was telling it to the viewers. Shame!
- Tyra’s Acting: She was much better behind-the-camera than she was while in-front of it. Tyra shares one scene with Tyson Beckford and she’s suppose to be this shy girl who doesn’t want to give him a kiss, so instead she sucks his thumb. The whole thing was just awkward because there’s no way one can believe that Tyra is shy.
Eliminated (spoiler ahead):
- Laura: In the end, Laura’s cute personality doesn’t outshine Alison’s introverted one.
Somehow it feels like one of the three finalist shouldn’t be there (ahem, Angelea). Still, the show must go one. Next week, we find out the winner.
Watch “America’s Next Top Model” All-Star Edition Wednesday at 9:00 p.m. on The CW.
Did you watch last night’s episode?