The Muppets were unable to take down the vampires and wolves of Twilight during the Thanksgiving holiday. The race to be No. 1 at the box office wasn’t even close: once again Breaking Dawn Part I dominated the box office, pulling in $42 million. The fourth film of the Warner Brothers franchise has already grossed $221.3 million domestically and is nearing $500 million worldwide. As for the group of puppets from The Muppets, well they aren’t doing too bad. The kids’ film pulled in $29.5 million over the weekend, and $42 million in total over the holiday. Despite Twilight’s big win, the box office Top 5 were all about the family. Happy Feet Two followed The Muppets with $13. 4 million; Arthur Christmas kept up with $12.7 million; and Martin Scorsese‘s first family film Hugo rounded off the Top 5 with $11.3 million.
Check out the numbers…
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 | Last Week #1 | Summit Entertainment | Weekend Gross $42,000,000 | Average Per Theater $10,330 | Total Gross $221,300,000 | Film’s Budget – $110 | Week 2
- The Muppets | NEW | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $29,500,000 | Average Per Theater $8,576 | Total Gross $42,000,000 | Film’s Budget – $45 | Week 1
- Happy Feet Two | Last Week #2 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $13,400,000 | Average Per Theater $3,716 | Total Gross $43,773,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 2
- Arthur Christmas | NEW | Sony | Weekend Gross $12,700,000 | Average Per Theater $3,762 | Total Gross $17,000,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Hugo | NEW | Paramount | Weekend Gross $11,350,000 | Average Per Theater $8,888 | Total Gross $15,380,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Jack and Jill | Last Week #4 | Sony | Weekend Gross $10,300,000 | Average Per Theater $3,400 | Total Gross $57,417,000 | Film’s Budget – $79 | Week 3
- Immortals | Last Week #3 | Relativity | Weekend Gross $8,800,000 | Average Per Theater $3,287 | Total Gross $68,632,000 | Film’s Budget – $75 | Week 3
- Puss In Boots | Last Week #5 | Paramount | Weekend Gross $7,450,000 | Average Per Theater $2,479 | Total Gross $135,361,000 | Film’s Budget – $130 | Week 5
- Tower Heist | Last Week #6 | Universal | Weekend Gross $7,323,000 | Average Per Theater $2,960 | Total Gross $65,380,000 | Film’s Budget – $75 | Week 4
- The Descendants | Last Week #10 | Fox Searchlight | Weekend Gross $7,200,000 | Average Per Theater $16,628 | Total Gross $10,741,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 2
The Descendants widened its release, and was able to keep its spot in the Top 10, pulling in $7.2 million, over the weekend. But The Descendants wasn’t the only indie film out there. My Week with Marilyn, which stars Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe, opened on Thanksgiving in 244 theaters. The film didn’t make the top 10, but it managed to pull in $2 million since its Wednesday debut. Also out is the black-and-white silent film The Artist, which is only playing in four theaters. A Dangerous Method, with Keira Knightley, Michael Fassbender and Viggo Mortensen, is also out in four theaters.
What did you watch this weekend?