Surprise, surprise, Twilight dominated the box office this weekend. Breaking Dawn Part I has already surpassed its budget of $110 million, and is nearing $300 million worldwide. The fourth movie in The Twilight Saga broke a few records, including second biggest opening in November (behind New Moon), and fifth largest opening in history. But despite it’s huge success, the film still underperformed – we predicted a $153 million debut.
Speaking of franchises, Happy Feet Two debuted in theaters but the penguins were completely overshadowed by vampires and wolves. In 2006, Happy Feet earned $41.5 million during its opening weekend. Its sequel only grossed $22 million. Alexander Payne‘s The Descendants also premiered last week and despite its limited 29-theater release, it managed to break into the top 10. Now the question is, when will Fox Searchlight expand the movie’s release?
Check out the numbers…
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 | NEW | Summit Entertainment | Weekend Gross $139,500,000 | Average Per Theater $34,351 | Total Gross $139,500,000 | Film’s Budget – $110 | Week 1
- Happy Feet Two | NEW | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $22,025,000 | Average Per Theater $6,108 | Total Gross $22,025,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Immortals | Last Week #1 | Relativity | Weekend Gross $12,252,000 | Average Per Theater $3,927 | Total Gross $52,980,000 | Film’s Budget – $75 | Week 2
- Jack and Jill | Last Week #2 | Sony | Weekend Gross $12,000,000 | Average Per Theater $3,490 | Total Gross $41,028,000 | Film’s Budget – $79 | Week 2
- Puss In Boots | Last Week #3 | Paramount | Weekend Gross $10,725,000 | Average Per Theater $3,141 | Total Gross $122,313,000 | Film’s Budget – $130 | Week 4
- Tower Heist | Last Week #4 | Universal | Weekend Gross $7,000,000 | Average Per Theater $2,379 | Total Gross $53,434,000 | Film’s Budget – $75 | Week 3
- J. Edgar | Last Week #5 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $5,900,000 | Average Per Theater $3,030 | Total Gross $20,695,000 | Film’s Budget – $35 | Week 2
- A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas | Last Week #6 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $2,900,000 | Average Per Theater $1,604 | Total Gross $28,333,000 | Film’s Budget – $19 | Week 3
- In Time | Last Week #7 | 20th Century Fox | Weekend Gross $1,675,000 | Average Per Theater $1,225 | Total Gross $33,419,000 | Film’s Budget – $40 | Week 4
- The Descendants | NEW | Fox Searchlight | Weekend Gross $1,222,000 | Average Per Theater $42,138 | Total Gross 42,138 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
Twilight will definitely continue to do well through Thanksgiving, but The Muppets won’t go down without a fight. Kermit and Miss Piggy hit theaters on Wednesday, and it will be a close race between them and Twilight.
As for Happy Feet Two’s future, it might not gain much steam because there are a lot of kids movies coming out this week aside from The Muppets. Hugo and Arthur Christmas are also hitting theaters this Thanksgiving. And for the adults, there’s the biopic My Week With Marilyn, the silent film The Artist, and A Dangerous Method. What will you watch over the holiday?
What did you watch this weekend?