Last night, the All-Stars headed to the land of gods, goddess and gyros – Greece. The models have been gearing up for this moment by way of photo-shoots and public appearances. Unfortunately there was no celebrity guest judge this week (Nikos Papadopoulos is great, but by now, we’ve gotten use to appearances like La Toya Jackson and Coco Rocha). Instead of a special appearance by a popular culture icon, we got an even more special appearance by one of the season regulars, Miss Jay, who served the models their first task on their plane ride to Greece. Let’s go over last night’s episode of “America’s Next Top Model.”
- Judges: Tyra Banks, Nigel Barker, Andre Leon Talley
- Guest Judges: Nikos Papadopoulos
- Cast: Shannon Stewart (Cycle 1), Lisa D’Amato (Cycle 5), Dominique Reighard (Cycle 10), Allison Harvard (Cycle 12), Laura Kirkpatrick (Cycle 13), and Angelea Preston (Cycle 14).
Episode Title: “Nikos Papadopoulos”
The models head abroad to Greece. There, they are given the opportunity to collaborate with designer Michael Cinco on what could potentially be their final runway gown. At a photo shoot, one of the models is conflicted when they are asked to pose in underwear.
- Allison’s Greek Speech: On the plane ride to Greece, the models are told that they will be making an appearance in-front of Greek reporters and several important people, right when they step off the plane. To greet them, the models must compose a speech, telling them about themselves, and also incorporate a few Greek phrases. Allison knocks it out of the ballpark. The old Allison could have never given a speech with so much self-confidence. Unfortunately, her performance at the photoshoot wasn’t as impressive. because she couldn’t keep her eyes open (“night vision” so she says). Still, she impressed the panel and was runner up for best photo.
- Greek Salad: It sounds completely ridiculous to have the models pose in a bowl of Greek Salad, but you know what, the photos looked really good (maybe it was the beautiful backdrop of Greece). There you have these towering models posing among blocks of cheese, giant croutons and drenched in olive oil. It was a sight to see.
- Designer Challenge: Although we didn’t get to see the finished product, the All-Stars did get their first shot at designing their own Greek goddess-inspired gown, courtesy of Michael Cinco. Word is, that the final two will get to wear Michael Cinco gowns during the face-off runway walk. Each model got to contribute what they want on their dress, which is cool, because it’ll be custom made for them.
- Shannon Says No To Underwear (SPOILER!): Again, Shannon “stands up” for what she believes in and says no to wearing underwear (even though it really looked like a bathing suit) and thereby, doesn’t participate in the Greek Salad photoshoot. One of the wardrobe designers if caught telling her that it’s a lot easier changing the model than the prototype, which leaves Shannon basically speechless. In the end, she keeps her dignity, but is sent packing.
- No Celebrity Guest Judge: It’s hard to believe that good old Tyra couldn’t get a celebrity judge to come to Greece. The whole theme of this Cycle has been based on its celebrity judges. Nikos Papadopoulos is a great photographer, but he’s no La Toya Jackson.
Eliminated (spoiler ahead):
- Shannon: Standing up for what you believe in has its price. For Shannon, it meant elimination.
It was a good entertaining episode, but it was missing a key ingredient – a celebrity guest judge.
Watch “America’s Next Top Model” All-Star Edition Wednesday at 9:00 p.m. on The CW.
Did you watch last night’s episode?