It’s show time for the cast of “West Side Story” and everybody seems to be excited, except for the production’s two leads, Rachel and Blaine. The two catch a severe case of the jitters after a not-so-nice Arty tells them they lack Tony and Maria’s sexual passion. So yes, this episode does deal with teen sex, hence the title ‘The First Time,’ and after watching last night’s outstanding “Glee” episode, one can’t help but ask, what’s all the fuss about? Teens have sex, period. “Glee” has dealt with this controversial topic in the past (if you recall ‘The Power of Madonna’ episode where Rachel, Finn and Emma perform ‘Like A Virgin’). This time around, the “Glee” writers dealt with the topic a lot more tastefully. Let’s go over the details.
- Director: Bradley Buecker
- Writer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
- Cast: Dianna Agron, Chris Colfer, Kevin McHale, Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Heather Morris, Amber Riley, Naya Rivera, Jenna Ushkowitz, Mark Salling, Matthew Morrison, Ashley Fink, Chord Overstreet, Harry Shum, Jr., Cheyenne, Darren Criss, Jayma Mays, Jane Lynch, and Mike O’Malley
Episode Title: “The First Time”
Under Artie’s directorial leadership, the kids prepare to perform the school musical “West Side Story.” Meanwhile, Finn meets with a recruiter and Coach Beiste has an admirer.
- “Finchel” (SPOILERS!): Rachel and Finn aren’t the most exciting couple in the world (to be honest, it was a lot more interesting to see Rachel date Puck or Jesse). But their relationship was brought to new heights Tuesday night. Distressed over her passionless practice performance of ‘Tonight,’ Rachel decides to surrender her virtue to Finn. But when Finn finds out her motives, he rejects her. Still, Rachel seeks out the advice of her non-virgin friends, and through them, we get great different points of view that are both funny and true. In the end, Rachel understands that losing her virginity is something special and important, and she and Finn enjoy a night of romantic lovemaking.
- ‘Sex On A Stick And Sings Like A Dream’ (SPOILERS!): This week saw the return of The Warblers. They did a sassy and well-choreographed performance of Billy Joel’s ‘Uptown Girl.’ We were also introduced to Warbler (and “Glee”) newbie Sebastian (Grant Gustin), who looks like he’s up to no good. In his debut performance, Sebastian manages to create a green monster out of Kurt and create a divide between him and Blaine. Still, he’s an interesting character, the likes which haven’t been seen since Jesse St. James.
- Mike Chang: New Direction’s best dancer Mike Chang returned to the spotlight this week. His father still can’t accept Mike’s decision to be a dancer, and that pushes him to a heartbreaking decision. Still, it’s great to see his story because it identifies with a lot of teens who are forced to follow their parent’s dreams instead of their own.
- Coach Beiste: Thankfully, no time was wasted on Emma’s virginity, instead we got another glimpse into Coach Beiste’s love life (or lack thereof).
- Blaine And Kurt (SPOILERS!): The highlight of the episode was, of course, Blaine and Kurt doing the deed. Yes, they have sex, and it couldn’t have been done a better way. After a week of ups and downs (or the Sebastian roller-coaster), Blaine and Kurt make up. These two have the best chemistry.
- The Return of Karofsky (SPOILERS!): On his first trip to a gay bar (Sebastian takes Kurt and Blaine to their first gay bar), Kurt ran into Karofsky. Kurt’s old bully was a lot tamer now, and accepting of himself. He even offered Kurt some good advice, but their whole encounter was a bit awkward and unusual. It’s just hard to believe that a guy like Karofsky would be lurking in the shadows of a gay bar.
- Arty Becomes a Tyrant Director: Arty discovered his new talent is being out of the spotlight and in the director’s chair, but he also gains a giant ego and starts butting into everyone’s business.
- “Tonight,” West Side Story – Rachel and Blaine practice for “West Side Story.”
- “Uptown Girl,” Billy Joel – The Warblers return with a cute and well-choreographed performance of Billy Joel’s “Uptown Girl.”
- “A Boy Like That,” West Side Story – Santana and Rachel sing a duet.
- “America,” West Side Story – The cast of “West Side Story” show off their best Puerto Rican accents and sings ‘America,’ lead by spicy Latina Santana.
- “One Hand, One Heart,” West Side Story – After their sexual awakening, Blaine and Rachel give a great performance as Tony and Maria.
Like ‘Asian F,’ this episode belongs in a greatest episodes package. ‘The First Time’ was a good bounce-back from last week’s ‘Pot O’ Gold.’ Now that Rachel and Kurt (and Blaine) have officially lost their virtue to the men of their dreams, we can get on to other stuff, like next week’s mash up!
“Glee” airs Tuesday nights at 8pm on FOX.
What did you think of last night’s episode?