Last night, the All-Stars ditched the photoshoots for some time inside the studio booth. Each model got to write, record, and perform a song, and in the process they owned up to their All-Star title. Writing lyrics is no easy feat, and these girls were able to do it (to that, I tip my hat). Hip hop rapper Game also showed up to stir things up. He was at the helm of the model’s music videos, and later evaluated them at panel. There were some fun surprises in last night’s episode. Let’s go over the ‘Game.’
- Judges: Tyra Banks, Nigel Barker, Andre Leon Talley
- Guest Judges: Game
- Cast: Shannon Stewart (Cycle 1), Lisa D’Amato (Cycle 5), Dominique Reighard (Cycle 10), Allison Harvard (Cycle 12), Laura Kirkpatrick (Cycle 13), Angelea Preston (Cycle 14), and Alexandria Everett (Cycle 16).
Episode Title: “Game”
The girls are making their own music video. So, the All-Stars are being given their most difficult challenge yet, as they are asked to write and sing a song about their lives, with a surprising twist. A few of the models struggle with the task and reach emotional breaking points. Once the song is complete, rapper Game steps in to direct the women in music videos based on their songs.
- Song Writing Challenge: Coming into this competition, the contestants know that their goal is to take a good picture. Sure they’ll have to learn to strut down a catwalk and dress fashionably during the process, but “ANTM” is, for the most part, about taking a good picture to put in their portfolio… until now. “Top Model” has never had a challenge where the models are forced to write a song in under 20 minutes. But that wasn’t the best part about the challenge. The models actually wrote good lyrics, and that was shocking. It was great.
PhotoshootIn The Booth: There were no photoshoots this week, instead the models went into the booth to record the songs they wrote during the song writing challenge, and it really brought out something new in everyone. Some of the girls were better at performing than others, others were better singers, but overall, they all brought something unique to their recording. And it was nice to see them do something different for a change.
- Game: Best celebrity guest judge by far this season. He didn’t shy away from telling a model that she was doing a poor job. He gave input and feedback. He was everything a judge/guest star should be.
- Game and Allison Have A Heart To Heart: Game developed some kind of platonic crush on Allison. He calls her face a “work of art” and when he calls her weird, he means it in the nicest way possible. He also tells her that she’s the rarest person he’s ever meant. At one point the two have a sweet conversation that gets Allison to feel comfortable about performing (earlier she was freaking out about the challenge and the music video).
- Best Line: Game says, “Her face is a work of art,” referring to Allison.
- Tyra’s Music Video Cameo: Because of time (and probably budget), the music videos weren’t as lavish or creative as one would’ve wanted them to be. Each video got its own setting, but that was it. That would’ve been okay, if it hadn’t been for Tyra’s ridiculous cameo. Tyra and internet sensation Keenan show up in every music video, dressed in ridiculous outfits, to lip sync
- “Pot Ledom”: “Pot Ledom is Top Model backwards” – Tyra makes the girls add this lyric to each of their songs. Why must she ruin everything? Why must she leave her mark?
Eliminated (spoiler ahead):
- Alexandria: After a poor and stiff performance during her music video shoot, Alexandria got the ax.
Game was, by far, the best judge of Cycle 17. He made the whole music thing enjoyable. These girls aren’t professional singers, but they are entertainers (some of them are). It was a nice change of pace to see the girls do something else besides posing in front of a camera.
Watch “America’s Next Top Model” All-Star Edition Wednesday at 9:00 p.m. on The CW.
1. Allison’s “Underwater”
2. Lisa’s “I Be Like Whoa!”
To look at the rest of the videos, go to ANTMJudge’s Youtube.
Did you watch last night’s episode?