Andy and April decide to throw a wild Halloween party on the latest episode of “Parks and Recreation,” but roommate Ben is not exactly thrilled with the idea. Leslie is also partying it up, a special event hosted by Tom’s Entertainment 7 Twenty so she can rub elbows with local business folks.
Check below to read the review…
- Director: Wendey Stanzler
- Writers: Katie Dippold
- Cast: Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Nick Offerman, Adam Scott, Aziz Ansari, Jim O’Heir, Retta, Aubrey Plaza, Rob Lowe, and Chris Pratt
Episode: “Meet ‘N’ Greet”
April and Andy throw a Halloween bash – which is news to roommate Ben -, while Tom brings his marketing savvy to Leslie’s campaign in the form of a meet and greet with local business people.
- Sherlock Traeger: I dig Rob Lowe’s character Chris Traeger, but I do see where many viewers wonder where he fits in week to week. But the writers keep blessing the character with funny as hell stuff to say and do, so I am a fan. His making out with Jerry’s daughter while Jerry looks on – horrified – was funny, as was Chris working the party as Sherlock Holmes/Traeger.
- Meet Me: Leslie’s meet ‘n’ greet storyline was funny, especially with Tom trying to pump life into a lifeless Entertainment 7 Twenty. Aziz Ansari killed it and he and Amy Poehler have a terrific chemistry together. Anytime you can get those two in a mobile hot tub – you know it’s going to be good!
- Costumes: Jerry dressed as Mr. Potato Head and Ron dressed as a pirate was funny. April turning Jerry’s Mr. Potato Head smiley face into a frown when she sees his horrified expression upon watching his daughter get naughty with Chris might have been the best moment of the episode.
The Bad (but not that bad):
- Mr. and Mrs. Fix It: Ann joins in with Ron who is on the march to fix everything broken in Andy and April’s house – which is a lot. The storyline went cold for me, but Rashida Jones and Nick Offerman were still enjoyable to watch – so it was not a total loss.
- Sad Ben: We’re all sad that Ben and Leslie cannot be together, but Ben’s moping aorund is getting annoying. His bummed-out act served up some funny scenes with Andy, but if he’s so annoyed with living with Andy and April why not just move out?
- No Jean-Ralphio?: C’mon!
You can hit only so many homeruns in a row. “Meet ‘N’ Greet” is a definite triple, which just about any show would be happy with, but it’s the first episode of the season that wasn’t A-plus.
Still, plenty of laughs to help smooth out some of the rough edges where the episode lost a bit of traction. I thought the Chris-Jerry storyline at the party was funny, yet it felt awkward. The interplay between Ben, April and Andy had some nice moments, but lost steam here and there. I did think the Tom-Leslie stuff worked at the Entertainment 7 Twenty-hosted party for Leslie, mainly because the two of them are always great to watch together. Speaking of Entertainment 7 Twenty, is this the last we will see of the now bankrupt endeavor? I always figured the writers would get Tom back to his old job, but perhaps there is still life left in the entertainment company with the dancers and mobile hot tub.
“Meet ‘N’ Greet” is the weakest episode of the season thus far, but still very funny and any low-points should be considered minor. The show is still rolling along nicely….
“Parks and Recreation” airs on NBC at 8:30 pm (ET/PT) on Thursday nights.
What did you think of last night’s episode?