October is the perfect time for costumes, candy corn and Paranormal Activity 3. The sequel of the sequel blew away competition this weekend at the box office, opening with an estimated $54 million. The horror film broke the record for best fall opening ever, a title that previously belonged to Jackass 3D. Other new big releases, The Three Musketeers and Johnny English Reborn. underperformed.
The Three Musketeers didn’t land at No. 2 like we expected, instead the remake came in at No. 4 with $8.8. million. The British sequel Johnny English Reborn performed well overseas with gross of &104.5 million, but failed to make an impact in the U.S. and brought in only $3.8 million. Check out the numbers.
- Paranormal Activity 3 | NEW | Paramount | Weekend Gross $54,020,000 | Average Per Theater $16,266 | Total Gross $54,020,000 | Film’s Budget – $5 | Week 1
- Real Steel | Last Week #1 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $11,319,000 | Average Per Theater $3,317 | Total Gross $67,226,640 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 3
- Footloose | Last Week #2 | Paramount | Weekend Gross $10,850,000 | Average Per Theater $3,052 | Total Gross $30,863,031 | Film’s Budget – $24 | Week 2
- The Three Musketeers | NEW | Summit Entertainment | Weekend Gross $8,800,000 | Average Per Theater $2,917 | Total Gross $8,800,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- The Ides of March | Last Week #4 | Sony | Weekend Gross $4,900,000 | Average Per Theater $2,400 | Total Gross $29,159,356 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 3
- Dolphin Tale | Last Week #5 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $4,200,000 | Average Per Theater $1,470 | Total Gross $64,390,675 | Film’s Budget – $37 | Week 5
- Moneyball | Last Week #6 |Sony | Weekend Gross $4,050,000 | Average Per Theater $1,721 | Total Gross $63,708,894 | Film’s Budget – $50 | Week 5
- Johnny English Reborn | NEW |Universal | Weekend Gross $3,800,000 | Average Per Theater $2,448 | Total Gross $3,800,000 | Film’s Budget – $45 | Week 1
- The Thing | Last Week #3 | Universal | Weekend Gross $3,115,000 | Average Per Theater $1,040 | Total Gross $14,100,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 2
- 50/50 | Last Week #7 | Summit Entertainment | Weekend Gross $2,800,000 | Average Per Theater $1,449 | Total Gross $28,800,000 | Film’s Budget – $8 | Week 4
Recently, Three Musketeers actress Milla Jovovich tweeted that Summit Entertainment did a poor job on the film’s promotion because of the huge success of the Twilight franchise. Maybe Jovovich is right, but maybe audiences are just tired of remakes. Footloose didn’t do so hot during its debut last weekend either.
Also new in theaters was Martha Marcy May Marlene, a film that has been giving newbie Lizzie Olsen some major buzz as an Oscar contender. The film is only playing in two theaters in Los Angeles (Arclight Hollywood and The Landmark) and two in New York, but got off to a good start, averaging a total of $138,000.
Next week’s releases should also bring in big audiences. We’ve got Johnny Depp‘s The Rum Diary, the animated Puss in Boots, Justin Timberlake‘s In Time and my personal pick, Roland Emmerich‘s Anonymous.
What did you watch this weekend?