“America’s Next Top Model” returned last night with a girl fight. The models paired up with supermodel Coco Rocha in a “bitch fight” photoshoot. There was a lot of kicking and screaming, on and off the set. The challenge this week also required the girls to get a little down and dirty. Mr. Jay surprised the models with a trip to the sandy beaches of Long Beach where they played a not-so-friendly game of flag football with actual NFL players. It was a week full of physicality, and since the competition is growing harder each week, both the fake-fighting and flag football seemed to be a nice way to release tension.
- Judges: Tyra Banks, Nigel Barker, Andre Leon Talley
- Guest Judges: Coco Rocha
- Cast: Shannon Stewart (Cycle 1), Lisa D’Amato (Cycle 5), Bre Scullark (Cycle 5), Bianca Golden (Cycle 9), Dominique Reighard (Cycle 10), Allison Harvard (Cycle 12), Laura Kirkpatrick (Cycle 13), Angelea Preston (Cycle 14), Kayla Ferrel (Cycle 15) and Alexandria Everett (Cycle 16).
Episode Title: “Coco Rocha”
The models are divided into two teams for a flag football challenge with professional football players. During the challenge, the all-stars pause for photos. At the photo shoot, the models find out they will be posing in pairs alongside supermodel Coco Rocha.
- Flag Football In Underwear: The girls play a game of flag football with actual NFL players. Don’t worry they don’t get tackled or anything. During the middle of their shoot, a flag is tossed in and a name is called out, once that happens, one of the models is suppose to go in front of a photographer and pose, pose, pose. The models were aggressive on the field and it was entertaining to see them go at each other whilst in underwear and face paint.
- Coco Rocha “Bitch Fight”: Normally there would be some doubt as to how Tyra got Coco Rocha to appear on the show, but with guests like LaToya Jackson, it’s obvious – Tyra is blackmailing them (I kid, I kid). The models looked like children next to Coco Rocha. She’s like the George Clooney of acting, so elegant (and at 23, she’s still got a great modeling career). She also proved that the models have a lot to learn, starting with how to behave on set because that can get you eliminated – as it did to the model this week.
- Bre Gives Tyra the Cold Shoulder (SPOILER!): Normally Tyra will hug the girl that gets eliminated and bid her farewell, but last night, just Bre couldn’t wait. She left, giving Tyra the cold should. The models, who stood on the side, were all shocked, but Tyra didn’t address it. Maybe she’ll talk about it next week.
- Best line: At the end of judging, Tyra says, “It’s time to TKO somebody.”
- Coco Rocha As A Judge: Coco Rocha better not quit her day job. Being at the center of the Fashion biz, you would think that Coco Rocha would be a good judge for these girls, who want to be like her, but she held back a lot. She barely made any critiques, unfortunately, and when she did they weren’t very good, mostly compliments and “good jobs.”
- Kayla, The Lesbian: Can Kayla, just once, not say that the reason she needs to win something is because she’s a lesbian? She sounds like a broken record, and maybe that’s the effect that the producers want, but it’s annoying that she’s always referring to her sexuality. You don’t hear the other models say they have to win something because they’re straight.
- Final Pictures: It was interesting to see how these models could coexist with a model who has opened shows for Jean-Paul Gaultier and closes for Zac Posen. As Mr. Jay would say, the all stars looked like amateurs dangling off Coco Rocha. But the final photos were a disaster. There was no connection between the Rocha and the two other girls. The judges kept calling the photos “Vogue” and “Cinematical,” Andre Leon Talley even compared one to a Quentin Tarantino movie, but what it was is a hot mess.
Eliminated (spoiler ahead):
- Bre has left the building… with that said, who’s going to take care of Bianca?
It was an episode full of energy, from the challenge to the photoshoot. Coco Rocha was a fun guest to work with, but when it came to judging she was basically a mute. The photos weren’t as “cinematical” as the judges made it seem.
Watch “America’s Next Top Model” All-Cast Edition Wednesday at 9:00 p.m. on The CW.
Did you watch last night’s episode?