Two big remakes hit theaters on Friday, Paramount’s Footloose and Universal’s The Thing, but neither managed to outsell Real Steel. Still, it was a slow weekend at the box office. Hugh Jackman‘s robot boxing movie brought in $16.3 million, Footloose followed with $16.1 million, and The Thing came in third with $8.7 million. With numbers like this, the big question is, will movie moguls ever understand that audiences want new, original movies, and not old 80s remakes? Check out the numbers below.
- Real Steel | Last Week #1 | Buena | Weekend Gross $16,304,000 | Average Per Theater $4,740 | Total Gross $51,744,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 2
- Footloose | NEW | Paramount | Weekend Gross $16,100,000 | Average Per Theater $4,536 | Total Gross $16,100,000 | Film’s Budget – $24 | Week 1
- The Thing | NEW | Universal | Weekend Gross $8,700,000 | Average Per Theater $2,904 | Total Gross $8,700,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- The Ides of March | Last Week #2 | Sony | Weekend Gross $7,500,000 | Average Per Theater $3,411 | Total Gross $22,154,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 2
- Dolphin Tale | Last Week #3 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $6,345,000 | Average Per Theater $1,931 | Total Gross $58,672,000 | Film’s Budget – $37 | Week 4
- Moneyball | Last Week #4 |Sony | Weekend Gross $5,500,000 | Average Per Theater $1,937 | Total Gross $57,712,000 | Film’s Budget – $50 | Week 4
- 50/50 | Last Week #5 | Summit Entertainment | Weekend Gross $4,315,000 | Average Per Theater $1,805 | Total Gross $24,334,000 | Film’s Budget – $8 | Week 3
- Courageous | Last Week #6 | TriStar | Weekend Gross $3,400,000 | Average Per Theater $2,801 | Total Gross $21,378,000 | Film’s Budget – $2 | Week 3
- The Big Year | NEW | Fox | Weekend Gross $3,325,000 | Average Per Theater $1,547 | Total Gross $3,325,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- The Lion King (in 3D) | Last Week #7 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $2,708,000 | Average Per Theater $1,375 | Total Gross $90,452,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 5
Another new release this weekend was The Big Year, and even with three megastars like Jack Black, Owen Wilson and Steve Martin, the film wasn’t able to crack the top 5. The film landed at No. 9, and brought in a humble $3.3 million.
Perhaps Paranormal Activity 3 will have better luck than Friday’s debuts. Both (Paranormal Activity) movies have done relatively well at the box office, and with Halloween just around the corner, the film seems like a good pick. Also opening next Friday is The Three Musketeers, another remake, and a sequel to the British spoof comedy Johnny English, Johnny English Reborn. Seriously, this whole remake/sequel/prequel trend needs to stop.
What did you watch this weekend?