Four new films hit theaters last Friday but none were able to dethrone The Lion King. The Disney classic stayed king with $22.1 million, bringing its total gross to $61.6 million. Brad Pitt‘s new critically acclaimed movie Moneyball followed The Lion King with an estimated $20.6 million. Although thrillers like Abduction and Killer Elite hit theaters, it was the kid-friendly Dolphin Tale that proved to be Moneyball’s biggest competition. The film came in third with $20.2 million. Taylor Lautner was the big attraction for Abduction, and even though the film came in fourth, it made much less – $11.2 million. And finally, there was Killer Elite, which came in fifth with $9.5 million.
- The Lion King (in 3D) | Last Week #1 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $22,130,000 | Average Per Theater $9,498 | Total Gross $61, 676,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 2
- Moneyball | NEW | Sony | Weekend Gross $20,600,000 | Average Per Theater $6,883 | Total Gross $20,600,000 | Film’s Budget – $50 | Week 1
- Dolphin Tale | NEW | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $20,260,000 | Average Per Theater $5,777 | Total Gross $20,260,000 | Film’s Budget – $37 | Week 1
- Abduction | NEW | Lionsgate | Weekend Gross $11,200,000 | Average Per Theater $3,592 | Total Gross $11,200,000 | Film’s Budget – $35 | Week 1
- Killer Elite | NEW | Open Road Films | Weekend Gross $9,500,000 | Average Per Theater $3,182 | Total Gross $9,500,000 | Film’s Budget – $70 | Week 1
- Contagion | Last Week #2 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $9,500,000 | Average Per Theater $2,731 | Total Gross $57,122,000 | Film’s Budget – $60 | Week 3
- Drive | Last Week #3 | FilmDistrict | Weekend Gross $5,771,000 | Average Per Theater $1,987 | Total Gross $21,425,000 | Film’s Budget – $15 | Week 2
- The Help | Last Week #4 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $4,400,000 | Average Per Theater $1,987 | Total Gross $154,444,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 7
- Straw Dogs | Last Week #5 | Screen Gems | Weekend Gross $2,100,000 | Average Per Theater $872 | Total Gross $8,884,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 2
- I Don’t Know How She Does It | Last Week #6 | Weinstein | Weekend Gross $2,053,000 | Average Per Theater $824 | Total Gross $8,019,000 | Film’s Budget – $24 | Week 2
Originally The Lion King was only suppose to be in theaters for two weeks to promote the Oct. 4 DVD/Blu-ray release, but that has reportedly changed due to the success of the movie. Aside from The Lion King, the box office top five was filled with new releases which pushed movies like Contagion, Drive and The Help down to the bottom half. The highly-successful film The Help passed the $150 million mark over the weekend. Even though the film is in the bottom top ten now, it’s still the big winner.
What did you watch this weekend?