Like clockwork, the second episode of “ANTM” featured hair-cuts and tears. It was “Ty-over” time, which is basically Tyra Bank’s way of saying, “I’m chopping off your hair girl!” But before these girls got made over a second time, they got a free lesson on branding by expert Martin Lindstrom. Every girl was given one word that they would have to take to try and brand themselves. Tyra’s message was simple – it’s not about being yourself, it’s about selling yourself so that once your 15 minutes are over, people can still remember who you are. Harsh message, but very good advice.
- Judges: Tyra Banks, Nigel Barker, Andre Leon Talley
- Guest Judges: Ashlee Simpson
- Cast: Shannon Stewart (Cycle 1), Camille McDonald (Cycle 2), Lisa D’Amato (Cycle 5), Bre Scullark (Cycle 5), Bianca Golden (Cycle 9), Dominique Reighard (Cycle 10), Isis King (Cycle 11), Sheena Sakai (Cycle 11), Allison Harvard (Cycle 12), Laura Kirkpatrick (Cycle 13), Angelea Preston (Cycle 14), Kayla Ferrel (Cycle 15) and Alexandria Everett (Cycle 16).
Episode Title: “Ashlee Simpson”
In this episode, Ashlee Simpson shows up to tell the models they’re getting makeovers. The girls also take part in a branding-theme photo shoot – hot dogs are included.
- Ty-over Time: These judges come up with the best words – “smize”, “drekitude”, and now “Ty-over” (keep an ear out for it the next time you go to the beauty salon). The ANTM makeover episode is famous, not because the models get an upgrade, but because we get to watch them pout and cry. This was the second time these girls went under the scissors, so you’d think they’d be pros and not make a scene. Nope. There was still pouting and crying.
- A Branding Lesson: It’s about branding. Tyra teaches these girls a harsh but valuable lesson this week. She brings them one of the top branding experts Martin Lindstrom who teaches them that in order to stay in this business, you’ve got to sell yourself as a brand.
- Laura Eats a Hotdog and Models, at the Same Time: Jay loved how Laura ate her hotdog in front of the camera, so much that he uses her to teach the another girl a lesson. This has never happened on Top Model! Congrats, Laura.
- Alexandria: This girl needs to quit ANTM and head to Hollywood. She’s not a model. She’s an actress. During Ty-over, Alexandria’s long luscious hair gets chopped off, and she “loves” it. She loves it so much that she can’t stop crying. It’s really funny.
- Tyra Mocks Ashlee Simpson: During the panel, Ashlee Simpson mentions that she feels so old because she’s 26. Tyra tries to shoot her a compliment, but instead mocks her by saying, “I used to be a rockstar.” Ashlee definitely noticed this because she looked extremely uncomfortable.
- Tyra and Nigel’s Moment on the Panel (SPOILER!): To teach the models a lesson, Tyra goes the extra mile and shaves Nigel’s hair off on-camera. It’s a great moment.
- Best Line: At the end of the hotdog shoot, Jay says, “That’s a wrap on the hotdog.”
- Camille: How did Camille get put on this show? She’s so boring and hardly memorable. This is a reality show and she hasn’t shown any real emotions since she got there. It feels like she’s just a mannequin who walks and talks. She’s seems so arrogant and unfriendly. She’s not an All-Star.
Eliminated (spoiler ahead):
- Sheena: It’s true. Sheena is not a model and it’s a good thing that these judges realized it before wasting her time. Sheena is one of two Asian-Americans to be on the show.
The makeover episode didn’t disappoint. The show was fun and full of shocking moments. And there was actually a valuable lesson to be learned.
Watch “America’s Next Top Model” All-Cast Edition Wednesday at 9:00 p.m. on The CW.
Did you watch last night’s episode?