This Labor Day weekend marked the end of the 2011 summer movie season, and it all belonged to The Help. For three weeks now, newcomers have been no competition for the Disney and Dreamworks’ movie. The film brought in $14.2 million, bringing its total to a staggering $118.6 million. From the pile of new releases, The Debt was the biggest hit. Helen Mirren and company surprised us by coming in second place with $9.6 million. The delayed Sci-Fi thriller Apollo 18 followed The Debt with $8.7 million. And lastly, coming in at No. 4, was Relativity’s monster movie Shark Night 3D. The film failed to bring in serious cash, even with the inflated ticket prices.
- The Help | Last Week #1 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $14,209,000 | Average Per Theater $4,998 | Total Gross $118,600,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 4
- The Debt | NEW | Focus Features | Weekend Gross $9,677,000 | Average Per Theater $5,300 | Total Gross $11,579,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Apollo 18 | NEW | Weinstein Company | Weekend Gross $8,700,000 | Average Per Theater $2,614 | Total Gross $8,700,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Shark Night 3D | NEW | Relativity | Weekend Gross $8,640,000 | Average Per Theater $3,079 | Total Gross $8,640,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 1
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes | Last Week #3 | Fox | Weekend Gross $7,800,000 | Average Per Theater $2,443 | Total Gross $160,025,000 | Film’s Budget – $93 | Week 5
- Colombiana | Last Week #2 | TriStar | Weekend Gross $7,400,000 | Average Per Theater $2,831 | Total Gross $21,962,000 | Film’s Budget – $40 | Week 2
- Our Idiot Brother | Last Week #5 | Weinstein | Weekend Gross $5,182,000 | Average Per Theater $2,028 | Total Gross $15,417,000 | Film’s Budget – $5 | Week2
- Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark | Last Week #4 | FilmDistrict | Weekend Gross $4,941,000 | Average Per Theater $1,777 | Total Gross $16,382,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 2
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World | Last Week #6 | Weinstein Company | Weekend Gross $4,637,000 | Average Per Theater $1,542 | Total Gross $29,036,000 | Film’s Budget – $27 | Week 3
- The Smurfs | Last Week #7 | Sony | Weekend Gross $4,000,000 | Average Per Theater $1,478 | Total Gross $131,953,000 | Film’s Budget – $110 | Week 6
So, that was summer. It started with the action-packed sequel Fast Five and ended with the Southern sleeper hit The Help. We compiled a list of the biggest summer hits – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II is the champion with $372.1 million. On Friday, the fall movie season takes off with Steven Soderbergh‘s Contagion, which stars well, everyone (Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Marion Cotillard and more). Will Contagion finally bring down The Help? Let us know what you think!