In the mist of power outages and evacuation alerts, The Help was able to stay on top of the box office (as we predicted). But overall, this weekend hurt the studios harder than the hurricane hit the cities. This weekend was the release of big pictures like Colombiana and Guillermo Del Toro‘s Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark – but neither were able to known down the leader. The Help stayed on top with $14.3 million. The new Weinstein picture Our Idiot Brother came in fifth with $6.5 million.
- The Help | Last Week #1 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $14,333,000 | Average Per Theater $5,159 | Total Gross $96,630,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 3
- Colombiana | NEW | TriStar | Weekend Gross $10,300,000 | Average Per Theater $3,940 | Total Gross $10,300,000 | Film’s Budget – $40 | Week 1
- Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark | NEW | FilmDistrict | Weekend Gross $8,689,000 | Average Per Theater $3,148 | Total Gross $8,689,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 1
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes | Last Week #2 | Fox | Weekend Gross $8,650,000 | Average Per Theater $2,564 | Total Gross $148,456,000 | Film’s Budget – $93 | Week 4
- Our Idiot Brother | NEW | Weinstein | Weekend Gross $6,588,000 | Average Per Theater $2,578 | Total Gross $6,588,000 | Film’s Budget – $5 | Week 1
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World | Last Week #3 | Weinstein Company | Weekend Gross $5,727,000 | Average Per Theater $1,733 | Total Gross $21,710,000 | Film’s Budget – $27 | Week 2
- The Smurfs | Last Week #5 | Sony | Weekend Gross $4,800,000 | Average Per Theater $1,678 | Total Gross $125,993,000 | Film’s Budget – $110 | Week 5
- Conan the Barbarian | Last Week #4 | Lionsgate | Weekend Gross $3,100,000 | Average Per Theater $1,028 | Total Gross $16,576,000 | Film’s Budget – $90 | Week 2
- Fright Night | Last Week #6 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $3,029,000 | Average Per Theater $973 | Total Gross $14,207,000 | Film’s Budget – $30 | Week 2
- Crazy, Stupid, Love. | Last Week #10 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $2,905,000 | Average Per Theater $1,842| Total Gross $69,529,000 | Film’s Budget – $50 | Week 2
All of the films that were released will probably recover their losses in the coming weeks, more or less. The one that doesn’t stand a chance seems to be Conan the Barbarian. The film’s total gross stands at $16.5 million, and seeing as a film needs to double its cost to make a profit, it’s got a long way to go before it recoups its $90 million cost. Crazy, Stupid, Love. however, was able to keep its No. 10 spot, pushing films like One Day out of the way.
What did you watch this weekend?