The Help had a busy weekend. After being overshadowed by Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Help came back strong and claimed the No. 1 spot in its second week, as we predicted. In that time, the $25 million budget film has managed to pull in a grand $71.8 million. But the success of one film, means the lack of to another (or, in this case, others). This weekend all debuts flopped. Spy Kids: All the Time in the World landed third and grossed $12 million. Lionsgate blockbuster Conan the Barbarian (the film has a $90 million budget) barely managed to scoop in $10 million. Also new were Fright Night and One Day – both landed in the bottom half of the top 10. Take a look at the numbers…
- The Help | Last Week #2 | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $20,479,000 | Average Per Theater $7,613 | Total Gross $71,801,000 | Film’s Budget – $25 | Week 2
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes | Last Week #1 | Fox | Weekend Gross $16,300,000 | Average Per Theater $4,696 | Total Gross $133,764,000 | Film’s Budget – $93 | Week 3
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World | NEW | Weinstein Company | Weekend Gross $12,020,000 | Average Per Theater $3,648 | Total Gross $12,020,000 | Film’s Budget – $27 | Week 1
- Conan the Barbarian | NEW | Lionsgate | Weekend Gross $10,000,000 | Average Per Theater $3,317 | Total Gross $10,000,000 | Film’s Budget – $90 | Week 1
- The Smurfs | Last Week #4 | Sony | Weekend Gross $8,000,000 | Average Per Theater $2,617 | Total Gross $117,745,000 | Film’s Budget – $110 | Week 4
- Fright Night | NEW | Buena Vista | Weekend Gross $7,900,000 | Average Per Theater $2,537 | Total Gross $8,300,000 | Film’s Budget – $30 | Week 1
- Final Destination | Last Week #3 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $7,705,000 | Average Per Theater $2,442 | Total Gross $32,328,000 | Film’s Budget – $40 | Week 2
- 30 Minutes or Less| Last Week #5 | Sony | Weekend Gross $6,300,000 | Average Per Theater $2,181 | Total Gross $25,762,000 | Film’s Budget – $28 | Week 2
- One Day| NEW | Focus | Weekend Gross $5,128,000 | Average Per Theater $2,983 | Total Gross $5,128,000 | Film’s Budget – $15 | Week 1
- Crazy, Stupid, Love. | Last Week #9 | Warner Brothers | Weekend Gross $4,950,000 | Average Per Theater $2,552 | Total Gross $64,420,000 | Film’s Budget – $50 | Week 4
We predicted that the box office’s top 5 films would be filled with new releases (with the exception of The Help and Apes), but that wasn’t the case. All new releases did worse than suspected – Conan the Barbarian being the biggest flop. The film might have done better with an earlier release date because all of the anticipated summer blockbusters made their debut weeks ago.
What did you watch this weekend?