Saving the best for last, D23‘s movie panel concluded with footage from The Avengers, which is still shooting and has two weeks left to go. Though some of the cast was unavailable, Disney brought out Robert Downey Jr., Scarlet Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston and Colbie Smulders to wave at the crowd before they showed the footage twice. Here’s the breakdown…
- Loki (Hiddleston) is locked in a glass cage, while Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) taunts him about how the container will drop him 30,000 feet into steel if he so much as scratches the glass “Ant. Boot.”
- Loki then notes why they have the cage in the first place (to hold The Hulk) as it cuts to Black Widow (Johansson), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Hemsworth) and Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) watching (and possibly Tony Stark, though he’s kept off screen).
- Loki taunts Fury that they’re so close, but don’t have what they’re looking for.
- Banner notes that Loki “grows on you.”
- There’s a montage of action (Thor’s hammer hits Cap’s shield, there’s a chase after Loki, Iron Man flies)
- Tony Stark is at a bar at his house, having a conversation with Loki, where Stark talks about having assassins (then it highlights Black Widow and Renner’s Hawkeye), a demi-God (Thor), and ” a living legend, who kind of lives up to the legend” (Cap).
- Loki interrupts with “I have an army!” And Stark replies “We have a Hulk.” And then the footage cuts to the Hulk. Boom, title card, end.
The best part of the footage was getting to see Ruffalo’s Banner in action, who’s the newest actor to play the Hulk character, and the one who it’s most exciting to see play in that world. This very much feels like a Joss Whedon script as everyone says snarky, kind of funny things. I was surprised that the footage was not scope (2.35:1), but it’s hard to know if the film is being shot flat (1.85:1), or if that’s just what was available for the footage. Still, it sent everyone out on a high.
How stoked are you for The Avengers?