After last weekends disappointing debut, Green Lantern looks to fend off new comers Bad Teacher and The Disney Sequel in Cars 2. From Toy Story to Up Pixar is known for having the golden touch when it comes to producing movies that produce box office gold. While Cars was a solid performer it was a tad bit below in box office tallies when compared previous Pixar films. The lack of a solid family films over the past few weeks and an onslaught of marketing should help propel Cars 2 to the finish in the # 1 spot.
After a lower then expected debut last weekend, Green Lantern hopes to show some legs this weekend at the box office. Unfortunately that is highly unlikely as the film received modest cinenascore grades, a disturbing friday-Saturday daily box office drop, and mediocre weekday talies. Look for the Green Lantern to take a tumble in it’s seciond weekend to come in at the # 2 spot.
Looking like the sequel to Bad Santa, comes Bad Teacher starring Cameron Diaz, Jason Segal, and Justin Timberlake. Timing is good as it has been a few weeks since The Hangover 2 and Bridesmaids opened and movie goers could certainly use a fresh new comedy in the movie going mix. Look for Bad Teacher to open in the range of another Diaz vehicle What Happened In Vegas (which grossed $20,172,474 opening weekend) as both films had some some star power Vegas with Diaz. Reviews have been ok at best, but that shouldn’t deter fans from heading to the theatres this weekend. Look for Bad Teacher land in the #3 spot this weekend.
Rounding out the top will be Super 8 which had a solid last weekend to the number #4 spot while Mr.Poppers Penguins which should face some stiff competition from Cars 2 to drop to # 5.
The Top 9:
- Cars 2: Our Prediction – $55-60M – Opening Weekend Box Office.
- The Green Lantern: Our Prediction – $20-22M – Weekend Box Office.
- Bad Teacher: Our Prediction- $16-17M – Opening Weekend Box Office
- Super 8: Our Prediction – $11M – Weekend Box Office.
- Mr.Poppers Penguins: Our Prediction – $10M – Weekend Box Office.
- X-Men: First Class: Our Prediction – $5.5M – Weekend Box Office
- The Hangover 2: Our Prediction – $5M – Weekend Box Office
- Bridesmaids: Our Prediction – $4.5-5M – Weekend Box Office
- Kung Fu Panda 2: Our Prediction – $4.5M – Weekend Box Office