After last weekend’s solid debut J.J Abrams Super 8 will be competing with blockbuster hopeful The Green lantern, Jim Carrey’s kid comedy Mr.Poppers Penguin.
Hoping to be another in the long list of successful comic adaptation comes.The Green lantern is a known property, add in the youthful appeal of Ryan Reynolds, Gossip Girl’s Blake Lively and The Green Lantern could turn out to be sizable hit. Working against Reynolds & Co are poor reviews, and the fact that The Green lantern is the third comic book film to be released over the past few weeks. However, marketing has been intense, and movie audiences are always looking for some summer time fun with a big action popcorn flick. With that said, look for The Green Lantern to open in the #1 spot.
Looking to for strong second weekend hold comes J.J Abrams Super 8. Super 8 opened solidly last weekend, and has been preforming quite well during the week. The Green Lantern should take away some of it’s gross, but look for Super 8 to land in the # 2 spot this weekend.
Jim Carrey hopes to regain box office glory this weekend as he returns to familiar territory with the kid flick Mr.Poppers Penguins . Once the biggest comedy box office star in the world, Carrey has seen his box office clout drop over the past ten year as movie goers have seem to grown tried of his comedic shtick. Poppers Penguins should give Carrey a slight box office boost as the film bears a slight resemblance to his fan favorites Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, and The Mask. Look for Poppers Penguins to land in the # 3 spot.
Look for Memorial Day holiday favorites The Hangover 2, Kung Fu Panda 2 to duke it out with X-Men First Class for the rest of the top 5 this weekend. X-Men First Class has been preforming decently over the past few weeks and should face some competition from The Green Lantern, to drop # 4 this weekend while Kung Fu Panda 2 should drop #5.
The Top Ten:
- The Green Lantern: Our Prediction – $55-60M Opening Weekend Box Office.
- Super 8: Our Prediction – $30-35M Opening Weekend Box Office.
- Mr.Poppers Penguins: Our Prediction – $16-17M Opening Weekend Box Office.
- X-Men: First Class: Our Prediction – $12M Weekend Box Office
- Kung Fu Panda 2: Our Prediction – $10M Weekend Box Office
- The Hangover 2: Our Prediction – $8-9M
- Bridesmaids: Our Prediction – $7-8M Weekend Box Office
- POTC: On Strangers Tide: Our Prediction – $5M Weekend Box Office
- Midnight In Paris: Our Prediction – $4M Weekend Box Office
- Thor: Our Prediction – $1.5M Weekend Box Office