Summer movie season officially begins this weekend with the release of the Fifth Fast & The Furious movie simply titled Fast Five. Two years ago, The Fast & The Furious opened with a bang, reaching new box office heights, and effectively turning the end of April into the unofficial launch of the summer movie season. This weekend should be no different as Fast Five has been building buzz for months, has had a number of positive reviews, and with the added star power of new cast member The Rock, Fast Five should open strong at # 1 this weekend.
The rest of the top five will see a battle between Easter holiday holder-overs, the teen flick Prom and another animated children’s film in Hood Winked 2. The animated hit Rio should withstand new competition due to strong weekend to weekend grosses, and solid of mouth to become another in a long line of successful animated films aimed at children this year. Look for Rio hold strong at the # 2 spot.
To the surprise of everyone last weekend Robert Pattinson proved he can open an adult drama after last year’s flop Remember Me. Water For Elephants opened with solid results and even scored a A- cinema score grade indicting word of mouth may be strong as adult audiences tend not rush out opening weekend. With little direct competition minus Prom, look for Water For Elephants to see a modest decline and come in at the # 3 spot this weekend. Tyler Perry’s films always open big then crash, this weekend should be no different as his latest Madea’s Big Happy Family should find it’s gross cut in half to come in at the #4 spot. With the school year coming to a close Disney hopes to entice teens nationwide to the teen comedy/drama Prom. Unlike it’s Disney counterpart High School Musical, Prom lacks star power, an ultra wide debut and general buzz. With Scream 4 crashing at the box office, options are limited for teens, so look for Prom to debut with a modest opening at the #5
The Top Ten Box Office Predictions
- Fast Five:Our Prediction: $75-85M Opening Box Office Weekend
- Rio: Our Prediction: $15-16M Weekend Box Office
- Water For Elephants: Our Prediction $12M Weekend Box Office
- Madea’s Big Happy Family: Our Prediction: $10-11M Weekend Box Office
- Prom: Our Prediction: $9-10M Opening Weekend Box Office
- Hoodwinked 2: Our Prediction: $8M Opening Weekend Box Office
- Hop: Out Prediction: $7M Weekend Box Office
- Soul Surfer: Our Prediction: 4.2M Weekend Box Office
- Insidious: Our Prediction: $4M Weekend Box Office
- Hanna: Our Prediction: $3.5M Weekend Box Office