Sunday night, British actor and comedian Ricky Gervais hosted the 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards for the second straight year. The host pulled no punches with his opening monologue and he kept the audience on their toes throughout the night with his sarcastic and straight for the jugular quips. No one was spared from his ridicule, not even the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press!
Here are some of the high (low) lights from Gervais’ big night…
- On the Tourist: “I’d like to quash this ridiculous rumor going around that the only reason The Tourist was nominated was so the Hollywood Foreign Press could hang out with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp. That is rubbish. That is not the only reason. They also accepted bribes.”
- On HFPA President, Philip Berk: “I had to help the HFPA president off the toilet and pop his teeth back in.”
- Berk’s Response: “Ricky, next time you want me to help qualify your movies, go to another guy.”
- Introducing Bruce Willis he referred to him as Ashton Kutcher’s dad.
- On Charlie Sheen: “It’s gonna be a night of partying and heavy drinking. Or as Charlie [Sheen] calls it: breakfast”
- On the Extensive Airbrushing on the Sex and the City 2 Posters: “Girls, we know how old you are,” he quips. “I saw one of you in an episode of ‘Bonanza.’”
- On Scientology: “Also not nominated, I Love You Phillip Morris. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay, so the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists then.”
- On Lost: “It was quite a complicated finale. I’m not sure I totally understood, but from what I made out, I’m pretty sure the fat one ate them all.”
Last night the room was filled with a mixture of laughs, and awkward groans from celebrities. Some of whom voiced their disdain when they got the opportunity to take the stage. Before presenting an award, Robert Downey, Jr. stated, “Aside from the fact that it’s been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I’d say the show’s going pretty good so far, wouldn’t you?”
He was followed by the one-two punch of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen who also voiced their opinions about the night’s emcee. Hanks said he could recall “back when Ricky Gervais was a slightly chubby but very kind comedian.” Allen replied sternly, “Neither of which he is now.”
Some critics say that Gervais went too far, while other say his jokes added a much needed edge to the stuffy ceremony. After watching the show and reading these quotes, what do you think?
Did Gervais go too far or are people overreacting?