It seems like people decided to skip the movie theaters this weekend. The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (movie review) topped the charts with a modest $24.5 million. The third installment in the Fantasy franchise was made on a $140 million budget, but at this rate, it’ll be a long time before the distributors (Fox) see any profit. The Tourist (movie review), which stars the mega-duo Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie, was No. 2, taking the spot of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part I (movie review). Hopefully, with the Holiday break coming this week, people will hit the theaters.
Check out this weekends box office numbers to see…
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader | NEW | Fox | Weekend Gross $24,500,000 | Average Per Theater $6,892 | Total Gross $24,500,000 | Film’s Budget – $155 | Week 1
- The Tourist | NEW | Sony | Weekend Gross $17,000,000 | Average Per Theater $6,168 | Total Gross $17,000,000 | Film’s Budget – $100 | Week 1
- Tangled | Last Week #3 | BV | Weekend Gross $14,559,000 | Average Per Theater $4,084 | Total Gross $115,623,000 | Film’s Budget – $260 | Week 3
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 | Last Week #2 | WB | Weekend Gross $8,500,000 | Average Per Theater $2,376 | Total Gross $257,688,000 | Film’s Budget – N/A | Week 4
- Unstoppable | Last Week #4 | Fox | Weekend Gross $3,750,000 | Average Per Theater $1,264 | Total Gross $74,272,000 | Film’s Budget – $100 | Week 5
- Black Swan | Last Week #13 | FoxS | Weekend Gross $3,332,000 | Average Per Theater $37,033 | Total Gross $5,611,000 | Film’s Budget – $13 | Week 2
- Burlesque | Last Week #3 | SGems | Weekend Gross $3,200,000 | Average Per Theater $1,113 | Total Gross $32,574,000 | Film’s Budget – $55 | Week 3
- Love and Other Drugs | Last Week #5 | Fox | Weekend Gross $3,000,000 | Average Per Theater $1,339 | Total Gross $27,648,000 | Film’s Budget – $30 | Week 3
- Due Date | Last Week #7 | WB | Weekend Gross $2,545,000 | Average Per Theater $1,279 | Total Gross $94,884,000 | Film’s Budget – $65 | Week 6
- Megamind | Last Week #6 | P/DW | Weekend Gross $2,520,000 | Average Per Theater $1,035 | Total Gross $140,202,000 | Film’s Budget – $130 | Week 6
RIP This Week: This goes to The Next Three Days, Faster and The Warrior’s Way — All put in a good fight, some longer than others, some better than others — they will all (except for Faster) be missed!
Despite the low ticket sales, there was a film that was able to go up the latter — Black Swan (movie review). It was recently announced that the film would get a wide release, which will only mean more profits since it’s been racking in the most per theaters by far — if they screen it, the people will come.
The biggest disappointment this weekend… Where’s The Fighter? Someone give that bad-boy a wide-release!
What did you see this weekend?