This week’s episode of “Nikita” was entitled “One Way” and it was all about Michael and his backstory. As usual, anyone who’s in Division has a dark and muddled history and Michael is no different. His background is so disturbing that he actually teams up with Nikita to settle an old score with someone from his past. Do the two work together in harmony or does everything fall apart at the seams? Check out our review to find out…
- Director: Kenneth Fink
- Written By: Albert Kim
- Cast: Maggie Q, Shane West, Lyndsy Fonseca Aaron Stanford, Tiffany Hines, Melinda Clarke, Xander Berkeley
Episode Title: “One Way”
During this episode something rare happened, Nikita called a truce with Division — sort of. She joined forces with Michael who went on leave from the company for 48 hours to take care of some personal business. It turns out that Percy was able to track down the man (Kasim) who murdered Michael’s family several years ago and he’s ready to exact his revenge. Nikita decides to help him with his cause but things get hairy when Percy discovers her involvement.
- Michael’s History: We learned that Michael once had a wife and a daughter named Elizabeth and Haley, who were killed by a Jihadist who set him up. All this time we thought he was a one note yes man for Percy, when it turns out that everyone he loved was taken away from him. This fact makes his decision to work for Division more understandable.
- Kasim’s Called Out on his BS - After Michael was captured, Kasim tried to explain to him the reasoning behind his betrayal. He recited a quote from the Quran stating, “Fight in God’s cause against those who fight against you,” which Michael quickly replied, “..but do not commit aggression.” “You forgot that part of the Quran. If you’re going to twist its meaning at least quote the whole passage.” In your face extremists!
- Jaden’s got a new Hobby: Now that Thom’s gone has Jaden turned into Nancy Drew? Snooping around Alex every chance she gets seems be her new hobby. I’m all for them doing something different with the character because her bitch of the week antics were wearing thin, but Alex black mailing her into saying she witnessed her attack came out of left field.
- Nikita Turned on Michael: At the end of the episode Michael decided to go rogue and head straight for the airport where Kasim was departing. Nikita advised him not to do it because he didn’t have any cover and when he refused to listen she notified authorities. Michael literally got within a foot of the man who murdered his family before he was tackled by soldiers. This is a moral dilemma: yes, he probably would have died if he killed Kasim but it wouldn’t have been in vain. Plus, Nikita just pushed him further away because she robbed him of the one thing he wants most.
- The Editing: The action choreography on this show has been mediocre for the most part. Some weeks they step it up a bit and some they’re below the bar. During “One Way” the fights themselves weren’t the problem, it was the editing. The first fight scene where Nikita sneaks onto Kasim’s property was an incomprehensible mess. I couldn’t tell what was going on because it was so choppy. There were too many cutaway shots, and extreme close ups. At least they followed it up with a decent action sequence that featured lots of gun play and Nikita doing a cool flip over a guard’s head. That was actually clear!
This week was a good episode only because of the intensity that Shane West brought to his character. He’s getting more comfortable and showing us that there’s more to him than what meets the eye.
“Nikita” airs Thursdays at 9 pm on The CW.
What did you think of this week’s episode of Nikita?