Thursday, November 11, 2010 is Veterans Day, a federal holiday that honors and celebrates those who participated in the war. Most specifically, participants of World War I but these days everyone is included. To get you in the mood for this day of remembrance, several TV channels are airing war-centric films that illustrate the struggle and turmoil that many soldiers go through while on active duty. Over on HBO they’re even showing the entire miniseries “The Pacific,” so if you missed it the first time around this would be a great chance to catch up.
Check out the schedule…
- 10:15 am - The Enemy Below – U.S. destroyer-escort captain (Robert Mitchum) vs. U-boat captain (Curt Jurgens).
- 12:30 pm – Operation Pacific – A U.S. sub commander (John Wayne) takes on the Japanese fleet.
- 3:00 pm – The Wings of Eagles – The story of pioneer Navy pilot turned Hollywood screenwriter Frank W. “Spig” Wead (John Wayne).
- 5:30 pm – To Hell and Back – The most decorated U.S. soldier (Audie Murphy) of World War II portrays himself in his life story.
- 8:00 pm – A Few Good Men – Navy lawyers (Tom Cruise, Demi Moore) defend Marines for a murder at Gitmo.
- 11:00 pm – Top Gun - A hot-shot Navy jet pilot (Tom Cruise) downs MiGs and loves an astrophysicist (Kelly McGillis).
Fox Movie Channel:
- 9:00 am – Sink the Bismarck! – A thrilling account of the famed German battleship, from its launching to its final battle with the British Navy.
- 11:00 am – Battle at Bloody Beach – An American (Audie Murphy) joins a Filipino guerrilla to find his missing wife in WWII.
- 12:30 pm – American Guerrilla in the Philippines – The story of resistance to the Japanese after the fall of the Philippines during World War II.
- 2:30 pm – The Desert Rats – An English officer (Richard Burton) takes over an unruly group of Australian soldiers during World War II to do battle against Rommel’s (James Mason) forces.
- 4:00 pm – Decision Before Dawn – This WW II espionage thriller earned a 1951 Best Picture Nomination. Tells the story of U.S. intelligence officers who recruit German P.O.W.s to spy on the Gestapo and bring back information.
- 6:00 pm – Von Ryan’s Express – In an Italian POW camp during World War II, an American captain (Frank Sinatra) leads English prisoners on a daring train escape.
- 8:00 pm – Fox Legacy: Patton - Tom Rothman, Chairman and CEO of Fox Filmed Entertainment, introduces landmark 20th Century Fox films and provides insight about how these notable films were created.
- 11:30 pm - Paradise Road – Based on a true World Warr II story, a group of women inmates of a Japanese POW camp organize a symphonic chorus and create beautiful harmony as a way of coping with their misery.
- 11:00 am – The Pacific: Part One
- 12:00 pm – The Pacific: Part Two
- 1:00 pm – The Pacific: Part Three
- 2:00 pm - The Pacific: Part Four
- 3:00 pm – The Pacific: Part Five
- 4:00 pm – The Pacific: Part Six
- 5:00 pm – The Pacific: Part Seven
- 6:00 pm – The Pacific: Part Eight
- 7:00 pm - The Pacific: Part Nine
- 8:00 pm - The Pacific: Part Ten
What movie are you looking forward to watching this Veterans Day?