This week Hangover director Todd Phillips releases his latest comedy Due Date starring none other than two of our favorite faces Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis. This film had all the child-beating, masturbating, fat bodily parts in face rubbing, dog abusing jokes you can think of! That’s right, when you think of Phillips’ you should be thinking about a man who likes to make as many rude jokes as possible and this film definitely succeeds there… though it might not quite be what your expecting.
Find out more about the movie below…
- Director: Todd Phillips
- Writers: Alan R. Cohen, Alan Freedland, Adam Sztykiel, Todd Phillips
- Actors: Robert Downey Jr., Zach Galifianakis, Michelle Monaghan, Juliette Lewis
- Original Music by: Christophe Beck
- Cinematography by: Lawrence Sher
Due Date is a road trip movie that centers on a father to be as he anxiously tries to venture cross country to make it in time for his child’s birth. Unfortunately, he has to hitch a ride with an annoying slacker in order to make that happen.
- Two Great Leads: Downey and Galifianakis are two very charming actors in two very different ways. Downey has the quick wit, good looks, and the lovable edge; Galifianakis has the brilliant, albeit slow and almost non-human reactions that are fascinating to watch and is more lovable in the fozzy bear kind of way. The duo make a great team and play off one another brilliantly. In fact the only real reason to go and see this film is because you like seeing both their mugs blown up on a big screen.
- Some Shocking Moments: Though a lot of this film is mainstream there are definitely a few shocking moments that actually got me to gasp. It’s rare that a comedy can make you both laugh and gasp, but it’s what we have to look forward to in a Todd Phllips’ film and he doesn’t disappoint.
- Enough Good Laughs: Though there were many people around me who were laughing out loud, for the most part this film has a lot of chuckles throughout and no huge laughes. I wouldn’t say it’s a film that will have your sides aching but more than likely it will have you pleasantly smiling throughout.
- Same Ol’ Shit: Though the film has a few new and interesting characteristics it’s very much a film that we’ve seen before with two new charismatic and fun to watch characters. This basically could BE The Hangover 2, it’s the next stage in a man’s life and another trip on the road WITH Zach Galifianakis as an odd sidekick, but apparently we’ll be seeing that (as well) next year.
This is what I call a “hangover movie” (which has NOTHING to do with Todd Phillips’ Hangover movies) because it’s a good film to watch when you feel like crap and need something entertaining enough to take your mind off your current bodily situation but not difficult enough to make you have to actually use your head. It’s just good enough to be entertaining but it’s nothing new or exciting. It might also be good pre-hangover, I would imagine a few beers would make Due Date go down all the more smoothly.
Due Date in theaters November 5th!