“CSI: Miami“ has had a host of different eyewitnesses in the past, but they’ve never had a blind one… until now; how he helps the CSI crew solve a kidnapping is what this episode’s all about. This week’s installment also features the return of a well-hated villain from the show’s past whose role in all of the chaos is unexpected, to say the least.
- Director:Gina Lamar
- Written By: Krystal Houghton
- Cast: David Caruso, Emily Procter, Adam Rodriguez, Eva LaRue, Jonathan Togo, Rex Linn, Omar Benson Miller
Episode Title: “See No Evil”
The show opens with a young blind man who accidentally wanders into an out-of-order beach bathroom stall, only to stumble upon a kidnapping in progress. While he can’t directly help the CSI team with identification, he’s able to help them track down the kidnapped girl’s father thanks to his sense of hearing. The kidnapper forces the girl to withdraw $50,000 via a suicide-bomb-straitjacket, but Ryan manages to get a good enough look at him to get a decent sketch.
The girl’s mother realizes that the kidnapper is her hairdresser; when the team apprehends the guy, it turns out he’s got a mysterious partner in crime. The parents reveal that their money comes from illegitimate sources; meanwhile, Horatio figures out that Joe Lebrock is somehow involved. After doing some digging, the team finds the girl and brings her home – but not before several inmates escape from Joe’s prison. A manhunt is ordered as the girl is reunited with her parents.
- Smile for the Camera: The scene where Horatio stealthily gets a shot of the bomb-jacket is actually pretty ingenious: he tells the kidnapped girl to turn to her left, where an ATM camera photographs her chest multiple times. That’s a much niftier trick than the usual “CSI: Miami” fare, and refreshingly plausible to boot.
- Can’t Stop Lebrock: Recurring villain Joe Lebrock (John Sharian) is always a delight to watch – he manages to tread the line between actually scary and incredibly cheesy with aplomb. This time around he’s trying to enact the plot of The Shawshank Redemption en masse, via a prison break through the sewer lines. Although he’s ultimately unsuccessful, his interactions with Horatio provide some of this episode’s best dialogue.
- Guest-starring the Incredible Daredevil: While it’s admirable that “CSI: Miami” is portraying blind people in such a positive light, there is such a thing as overdoing it. The blind witness is able to tell the difference between garbage and recycling trucks, figure out that a random buzzing noise is dragonflies, and distinguish between different clanking noises of metal against metal well enough to identify a single sound he heard only once. By the end, you expected him to be a kung-fu master as well.
- The Computer Hears All, Knows All: While we’re on the subject, CSI’s magic computer does its usual fine work in managing to isolate individual sounds from a 20-second cell phone recording. If your iPhone’s sound quality was good enough for that to be possible, it would cost you about ten times what it actually does. Hooray for bad science!
- “Are you seriously doing the hand thing?” “…Are you sure you can’t see?”
- “Is there an app for this yet?”
- “No way man, he’ll kill me.” “Not if we beat him to it.”
- “If this girl has been harmed in any way, prison will be the least of your problems.”
- “You missed your own jailbreak, Joe!”
- “I say, bring it… onnnnnn.”
A fun, action-packed episode with some enjoyable performances, but also marred by the usual “CSI: Miami” bad science and plot logic. Worth watching once.
New episodes air every Sunday at 10 PM on CBS!
What did you think of this week’s episode? Do you agree with our review?