Toy Story 3 has turned into a box office juggernaut. Not only is it the highest grossing Pixar film ever produced, it’s the highest grossing animated film of all time. Now the studio has announced that Toy Story 3 will cross the billion dollar mark by the end of today making it the second Disney film to do so this year (following Alice in Wonderland).
According to the press release, Disney is the only studio to have two films gross a billion dollars in the same calendar year. Their first film to achieve such a feat was 2006′s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, which along with Alice is another Johnny Depp film.
Check out the accolades:
- As of Thursday (8/26/10), Toy Story 3 tallied more than $592.9 million internationally, Disney’s largest international animated release.
- Latin American audiences have contributed $138 million making Toy Story 3 the highest grossing Disney film ever released in the region.
- Toy Story 3 is the most successful UK release in Disney history and currently stands as the fourth biggest title in territory history with $102.4 million in box office receipts so far.
- In Japan, the film has taken in $111.2 million and spent five consecutive weeks as the #1 movie.
- Toy Story 3 currently ranks as the #7 film in global box office history and domestically ranks #9 with $404.6 million in receipts to date.
Disney is the parent company but Pixar did all the hard stuff. Their blood sweat and tears are sprinkled all over the Toy Story franchise and they deserve a pat on the back for their work.
Are you shocked that Toy Story 3 made a billion dollars? Have you seen the film?
Source: Coming Soon