This weekend the mock-buddy-cop comedy The Other Guys hits theaters with a bang… and a lot of laughs. Ferrell and Wahlberg have brilliant on screen chemistry and lead a strong supporting cast in one of the funniest films I’ve seen this year. It pushes boundaries, it’s unpredictable (much like the press conference we attended for the film), and if you only see one comedy this summer this is the one to see.
Check out why in our review below…
- Director: Adam McKay
- Writers: Adam McKay and Chris Henchy
- Actors: Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Michael Keaton, Dwayne Johnson, Samuel L. Jackson, Eva Mendes, Steve Coogan
- Produced By: Patrick Crowley and Jimmy Miller
- Mark Wahlberg: Somewhere in Wahlberg’s vast prep for this character, he decided that yelling every line would be the best way to go — and he was damn right. For some reason this wasn’t widely noticed by the audience, but every time that Wahlberg opened his mouth to yell, I was laughing… job well done.
- The Quiet Momemts: For a movie packed with action, when they sit down to start talking, it still works. The comedy keeps the pace going and you never feel any lag. The “table scene” with Ferrel, Walhberg, and Mendes is probably one of the funniest things you’ll see on screen. I especially love Wahlberg’s comment about the scene at the press conference for the film — “I just didn’t see any other way to play it.”
- The Opening: Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson’s opening is quite possibly one of my favorite comedic movie moments of all time. ‘Nough said.
- The Surprises: From unexpected character traits to full blown plot points being thrown left and right to the end credits, this film continues to surprise you from every angle. Ferrel could easily play the same character over and over, but he breaks out of his shell a bit with this film. His character has an extremely unique back-story and reacts in unexpected ways (you’ll know the moments I’m talking about because he normally follows them by saying “you didn’t expect that huh?” — That’s all for you audience!).
- The Story: I can’t really say plot, because that gets a bit fuzzy, but the story, though it’s all over the place always keeps it’s eye on the prize. So although you’ll be taken for a ride, you’re on a firm track that will take you to the end and it’s nice to know that through the insanity, you’ll get somewhere.
- Timing: Comedy is all about timing and this movie used it perfectly. From dialogue to action shots, everything is perfectly timed and you feel like they’re only giving you the best of the best at all times.
The (Not So) Bad:
- I Want Me More Gator: You don’t know, but you will… it’s nice that they didn’t over-do it with some comedic moments and only gave us the best of the best, but I easily could have watched a whole film on Gator — I predict a spin-off! At least a FunnyOrDie series!
- Blah, Blah: Anything I could complain about, character, plot, music really isn’t relevant to this film. I was laughing almost the entire way through — mission accomplished.
If you’re not easily offended and you want to laugh out loud, this is the film for you. It’s got hysterical performances across the board, a well managed story, lots of surprises, and great comedic timing. One of the best comedies I’ve seen all year. Don’t miss it!
Comedy Rating: 9.5/10
…because nobodies perfect. See The Other Guys in theaters August 6th!