It seems as if Inception is the film that just keeps on taking! In its third week it’s not only held its title as the number one film at the box office, domestically now earning more than its reported cost, but it’s also knocked down all its competition including Angelina Jolie and Steve Carrel for ticket sales. Something tells me Dinner for Schmucks may stick around for a bit — though The Other Guys might squeeze it out next week, but Salt is going to have a hard time sticking, especially with Inception still in theaters and Scott Pilgrim and The Expendables on the way. People can only buy so many over-priced tickets!
Meanwhile it seems the the box office successes just keep on producing, Inception is the newest, but Toy Story 3 and Eclipse continue to rake in big bucks. Check out the numbers below, it still seems to be a big or slow summer (poor Charlie St. Cloud) for big name movies…
- Inception | Last Week 1 | WB | Weekend Gross $27,520,000 | Average Per Theater $7,763 | Total Gross $193,348,000 | Production Budget $160 | Week 3
- Dinner for Schmucks | New | Paramount/DW | Weekend Gross $23,300,000 | Average Per Theater $8,004 | Total Gross $23,300,000 | Production Budget $69 | Week 1
- Salt | Last Week 2 | Sony | Weekend Gross $19,250,000 | Average Per Theater $5,329 | Total Gross $70,800,000 | Production Budget $110 | Week 2
- Despicable Me | Last Week 3 | Uni. | Weekend Gross $15,543,000 | Average Per Theater $4,315 | Total Gross $190,349,000 | Production Budget $69 | Week 4
- Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore | New | WB | Weekend Gross $12,525,000 | Average Per Theater $3,381 | Total Gross $12,525,000 | Production Budget $85 | Week 1
- Charlie St. Cloud | New | Uni. | Weekend Gross $12,136,000 | Average Per Theater $4,465 | Total Gross $12,136,000 | Production Budget $44 | Week 1
- Toy Story 3 | Last Week 5 | BV | Weekend Gross $5,035,000 | Average Per Theater $2,392 | Total Gross $389,674,000 | Production Budget $200 | Week 7
- Grown Ups | Last Week 7 | Sony | Weekend Gross $4,500,000 | Average Per Theater $1,983 | Total Gross $150,713,000 | Production Budget $80 | Week 6
- The Sorcerer’s Apprentice | Last Week 4 | BV | Weekend Gross $4,320,000 | Average Per Theater $1,712 | Total Gross $51,881,000 | Production Budget $150 | Week 3
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse | Last Week 8 | Sum. | Weekend Gross $3,965,000 | Average Per Theater $1,699 | Total Gross $288,200,000 | Production Budget $68 | Week 5
What did you pay to see this past weekend?