Good news, everyone! The creators and voice cast of “Futurama” gathered at Comic-Con to discuss the return of their the series to its new home on Comedy Central. John Dimaggio (Bender), Billy West (Fry), Lauren Tom (Amy), and Maurice LaMarche (Morbo, Hedonism Bot, and many more) joined Matt Groening and David X. Cohen to discuss getting back together, and the future of the show. Read more about the press conference after the jump!
Here are some highlights from their discussion:
- When asked what it was like to get back together after such a long absence, LaMarche quickly insisted, “It was like riding a bike. It just came back so naturally, and we didn’t miss a beat.”
- On the subject of the freedom granted at their new network, Groening said “We receive no censorship notes. We even have an upcoming episode about an overzealous robot who bleeps things he deems offensive, and we got one note that said ‘what is the word that gets censored here, because you can probably say it on Comedy Central.“
- David X. Cohen said one of his favorite cameos in an episode to come, will be Mark Mothersbaugh and Devo.
- On the the show’s fans, Groening said, “The show’s return, to DVD and television, is entirely because of the support of the fans. We have the most dedicated fans. Every year I come to Comic-Con, I see more and more “Futurama” tattoos, it’s amazing.”
- There will be 2 episodes this season in the vein of the “Anthology of Interest” episodes from the show’s earlier run, in which they tell 3 small stories, rather than one big one. Also, the season finale will feature some different animation styles.
- Though there has been an element of continuity in the past, Cohen said, “We really only put that stuff in there as a kind of reward to the people who have really been paying attention over the course of the series. We don’t want to make it a soap opera, where if you miss one episode, you can’t keep up.“
- When asked about the possibility of more straight to DVD features, Groening said, “Well, our real fantasy is to make a feature for real movie theaters!”
Stay tuned videos of the discussion!
Like what you read? For more fun, check out our top stories from Comic-Con…
- Watch Ryan Reynolds Recite the Green Lantern Oath to a Little Boy
- Sucker Punch Footage First Look
- Drive Angry 3D Just because It’s Here Doesn’t Mean It’s Wanted
- Thor Footage First Look
- Green Lantern Footage First Look
- Don’t be Afraid of the Dark Press Conference Ghost Story
- Comic-Con 2010 Costumes
- Cowboys and Aliens Footage Description
- Green Lantern Photos of Abin Sur
- Supernatural Season 6 Sneak Peek with Panel Video