…And we’re talking the REAL win. Not only did The Karate Kid finally knock Shrek Forever After off it’s box office pedestal, but they only spent $40 million dollars and made $56 million, while their competition for the weekend The A-Team spent $110 and made only $26 million. Ouch! It seems like both The A-Team and The Losers (basically the same movie) were fun to watch but don’t seem to be pulling in the viewers. Maybe people went to one or the other and not both? I wonder if The Expendables (also basically the same movie just with more bulky men) has anything to be worried about?
As for the smaller films, Splice is the only one that made the list. Will it stick around with word of mouth? Or slide into the depths of the Top 100?
Check out this weekends top ten at the box office below…
- The Karate Kid | New | Sony | Weekend Gross $56,000,000 | Average Per Theater $15,288 | Total Gross $56,000,000 | Production Budget $40 | Week 1
- The A-Team | New | Fox | Weekend Gross $26,000,000 | Average Per Theater $7,355 | Total Gross $26,000,000 | Production Budget $110 | Week 1
- Shrek Forever After | Last Week 1 | P/DW | Weekend Gross $15,800,000 | Average Per Theater $4,085 | Total Gross $210,052,000 | Production Budget $165 | Week 4
- Get Him to the Greek | Last Week 2 | Uni. | Weekend Gross $10,100,000 | Average Per Theater $3,738 | Total Gross $36,500,000 | Production Budget $40 | Week 2
- Killers | Last Week 3 | LGF | Weekend Gross $8,170,000 | Average Per Theater $2,858 | Total Gross $30,670,000 | Production Budget $75 | Week 2
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time | Last Week 4 | BV | Weekend Gross $6,600,000 | Average Per Theater $2,124 | Total Gross $72,300,000 | Production Budget $200 | Week 3
- Marmaduke | Last Week 6 | Fox | Weekend Gross $6,000,000 | Average Per Theater $1,867 | Total Gross $22,278,000 | Production Budget $50 | Week 2
- Sex and the City 2 | Last Week 5 | WB | Weekend Gross $5,525,000 | Average Per Theater $2,009 | Total Gross $84,745,000 | Production Budget $100 | Week 3
- Iron Man 2 | Last Week 7 | Par. | Weekend Gross $4,550,000 | Average Per Theater $1,974 | Total Gross $299,311,000 | Production Budget $200 | Week 6
- Splice | Last Week 8 | WB | Weekend Gross $2,860,000 | Average Per Theater $1,167 | Total Gross $13,071,000 | Production Budget $30 | Week 2
Seems like this is the summer for blockbuster bombs that will have to recoup their money on DVD and airplanes. Killers, Prince of Persia, Clash of the Titans, The Losers, The A-Team even Sex and the City seems to be struggling – and that was (or was thought to be) a guarantee!
Why do you think this big blockbusters are failing? What did you pay to see?